Heads swimming.....

I first did the MA - around pool pump off stirred slightly and let sit to lower TA because my understanding was to lower that first
was that

Please do NOT do that method again. A recipe to damage your liner. Follow Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

TA is the last thing you worry about. Get the pool clean and clear first.

Take care.

I've sent myself back to school ... as I keep doing and yes I am grateful for the advice ... yes I put chlorine in about 2 hours ago and am going to go test - also going to re order testing supplies as suggested --hope you stay with me.....I'm trying here --- probably my own worst enemy here - second guessing my self ...I really want to understand all this stuff and use the items that seem more natural to me then the stuff at pool store - actually much little of anything if possible
- there's so much knowledge here - thanks SO much always -

We'll keep helping if you keep trying! The learning curve is steep, but once it sinks in you will be a pro yourself :) It is all about doing your own testing and adding exactly what your pool needs.

I just tested I am at 5 fc now and 1 cc
i want to do the olct test still - correct? So should I bring up the fc
first or am I ok at it being 5 for the night? I just want to double check myself in understanding how to do correctly.
i read how to do and it says at least 3 but was given advice (#7) to bring up to 10

I suggest you add chlorine to bring to 10, circulate for 30 minutes, test, then use that number as your baseline for the OCLT.

Be sure to run your pump over night. Turn your SWCG OFF.

Take care

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to get familiar with the FC/cya chart. This chart is like the pool bible, I dare say the most important single piece of info in all of pool school.

From previous posts It looks like your cya is 90, in which case you should never go below 7 FC (per the FC/cya chart [emoji6]) so even if your water was perfect, 5 is too low. And during daily testing and bleach additions you should target 10-12. Reading through the posts it sounds like your loosing quite a bit of chlorine, more than the normal daily 2-4 loss that all pools have. So you probably need to slam. You can go ahead and do the oclt tonight to confirm but my gut is telling me a slam is in order.

If you decide to slam the target level with a cya of 90 is 35 FC (per the FC/cya chart) which is doable but really high!! So the first decision is whether to drain about 30% of the water to get cya down to a more manageable level or slam at 90 cya. This is your choice, the trade off is cost of water vs cost of chlorine.

Hopefully that helps clear some things up, keep reading pool school and ask questions. And keep the FC up per the chart.

Thanks topher - I thought about that but just doing slam but then I didn't want to get ahead of my self
I have been studying the charts but like to ask just so I make sure I'm understanding correctly - going to do finish
my oclt test and I will check the cya once again just to be sure again - water is not an issue so partial drain would be
possible - thanks!!

No worries, were here to help and answer questions. I know it is overwhelming at first.

I recommend a partial drain/fill if that is an option. a lower cya will make both the slam and ongoing maintenance after the slam is complete easier.

I've started - slam -��- should I keep my swg off ? Can't find where it says or maybe I've
Overlooked - thanks - oh and when I did my cya again it was at 80 - it's been super warm and I'm assuming from
6-8 kids splashing and evapo and refill ...we've manage to already bring down a bit..?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope - so sorry I read ... found ... won't use swg

Yep no swg, the idea here is if your going to be manually adding bleach anyway no need to use up the life of your swg.

And cya doesn't evaporate. The only thing that will lower is draining and splash out.

So at a cya of 80 slam level is 32fc at first test and add as often as possible (every two hours is ideal). As you see the chlorine consumption come down between tests you can space it out more. Read up on the slam process in pool school when you get a chance.

And no chlorine pucks or powdered shock. This will just further increase cya. Bleach only!!

Evaporation and refill will not lower CYA. Splashout can, but that would be a crazy amount of splashout. The CYA test is a light sensitive test. It must be done in full sunshine, back to the sun, vial held at waist level.

SLAMing with a CYA of 80 or 90 is difficult. We strongly suggest that you drain some water to get your CYA down to 40 or 50.

Thought for cya at 80 for the swg -- according to chart ... this is why I am about to have a melt down
I read and read through pool school ..charts ... I've used a ream of paper just so I have on hand - taken screen shots so I
can refer back to advice and then I feel like I'm back at square one of confusion. I'm more leaning to the experience more so then the print outs ... so please keep advising

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.