Heads swimming.....

Thought for cya at 80 for the swg -- according to chart ... this is why I am about to have a melt down
I read and read through pool school ..charts ... I've used a ream of paper just so I have on hand - taken screen shots so I
can refer back to advice and then I feel like I'm back at square one of confusion. I'm more leaning to the experience more so then the print outs ... so please keep advising
??? What is the issue?

Thought for cya at 80 for the swg -- according to chart ... this is why I am about to have a melt down
I read and read through pool school ..charts ... I've used a ream of paper just so I have on hand - taken screen shots so I
can refer back to advice and then I feel like I'm back at square one of confusion. I'm more leaning to the experience more so then the print outs ... so please keep advising

Having a CYA of 80 for a SWG is fine as long as you are not trying to SLAM. Trying to SLAM with a high CYA means that you will be using much more chlorine vs. lowering it to 40 or 50.

When you finish the SLAM, you will need to bring the CYA back up 70 or 80.

Being at 80 - but reading article seemed 80 was ok to slam - I started after first test - anyway I will proceed any continue
to seek your advice - thank you!!!
From the SLAM article, third paragraph in the 'Details' section:

SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.

So yes you can slam at 80, it's just going to take quite a bit of bleach. Looks like your initial addition was 5ish gallons at lower levels it would have been a gallon or two. If you don't mind lugging and buying the bleach it's fine.

So per pool school a few highlights of the slam

-Test and adjust FC up to slam level as often as possible especially at first.

-brush brush brush. At least once a day, two or three times is better.

-watch filter pressure, clean when pressure rises by 25%

You pass the slam when
Water is clear
CC's are less then 0.5
Oclt is less than 1

As stated, it is possible, but it will cost your more in bleach and reagents.

I would order more FAS-DPD reagents now as you do not want to run out during the SLAM. Make sure that you SWG is off while you SLAM as it will cause your PH to rise and you will not be able to test it accurately. The PH test is invalid when your FC is above 10 and SWG cause your PH to rise.

An inch of water will not appreciably effect your water chemistry.

No need to do the CYA test. That is only needed after a significant water exchange. Once you have this pool stabilized you can test your CYA each month.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just when I'm testing back for the cc - like water is clear (last step in testing ) I add first drop and there is pink - like a slight tinge to the sample - I added a few extra drops but didn't seem to really make any pinker so thought I would ask - I've read through the extended explanation in testing - I couldn't find if there was a certain shade --
again I thank you

No shade. Red or clear. Being a guy I have problems with colors (pink, red, magenta, etc)!!!!

Just when I'm testing back for the cc - like water is clear (last step in testing ) I add first drop and there is pink - like a slight tinge to the sample - I added a few extra drops but didn't seem to really make any pinker so thought I would ask - I've read through the extended explanation in testing - I couldn't find if there was a certain shade --
again I thank you

After you finish the FC test the water is clear. Then add 5 drops of R-0003 reagent to test for CC. If it turns pink then there is some CC present. Then add R-0871 drops again & count the drops until it turns clear again. This additional drops of R0871 tells you how much CC you have. The specific shade of pink/red is not important.

The only test where shades of color are important are the pH test and the OTO chlorine test. The rest of the tests are color changing tests where you add drops of reagent until the color change is complete. CYA not inclusive.

Gleave you are doing great! Good luck with the upcoming slam - your pool will be back to sparkling once the process finishes!

It's a lot to take in - keep it up and the amazing people here will keep with you.

If you can send us some pictures of the pool and when you have questions, that would be amazing. It makes it much easier to understand :)

Good luck! Here is to enjoying your sparkling pool again soon!!!

Did all that - watched the video - read .. mine does not turn that pink - just a slight pink -
im just trying to be sure I'm doing things right ... thanks again!!!

You are doing great!

When I check my pool for CC's it is usually zero, so that means mine never turns pink after the 5-drops of the R-0003.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.