Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Does anyone know the actual regulations regarding putting a gas heater under a deck? The deck is about 8 feet off the ground. Also does anyone know about putting it near a window for carbon monoxide emissions? PB was not much help.

I would think your building department for your city or county would have regulations for gas fired appliances in those cases.

I would not put it under a deck. Not sure about a window unless you leave it open alot.

Did you have to get a building permit for the pool and did the inspector pass this installation?

Take care.

Nothing is installed yet I am questioning the positioning of the pool equipment. Yes all permits are pulled but no work has been done to inspect.

I agree, talk to the permit department and inspectors.

Previous house my gas heater was near a bathroom window, but it was a fixed non-opening window so it was ok.

I doubt you can have the heater under the deck unless you are routing the exhaust gas up above the deck.

My PB said it should not be a problem under the deck as long as it has 5 feet of clearance. The bottom of the deck is a good 12 feet up. I asked about clearance on the sides as this is less than 5 feet (from the posts) and he didn't think this would be a problem. I wish heat pumps heated better this wouldn't be an issue then!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would make sure to vent it correctly.

Personally, I wouldn't put it under a deck no matter what.

The plumber says it will be fine as long as we order the exhaust relocation kit. Check out my pics (sig line) to see how high the deck is. It is 7 feet above the top of the heater.

I read the manual too. The heater is rated for indoor use and outdoor use in a shelter. So it is fine where it is I am not sure it even needs the relocation kit.

It's important to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions in addition to any other applicable codes, laws, regulations etc.

If anything says don't do it, don't do it.

There is no inspection or code for this. It is the manufacturers instructions, which say it can be done. We'll see how it goes when running and add a remote chimney if needed.

What installation manual are you using?

Jandy explicitly says don't put it under a deck.

Your first post says that the deck is 8 feet off the ground.

If the heater exhaust is 4 feet above the ground, then the exhaust is only 4 feet below the deck.

That's going to put a lot of very hot, toxic gas directly into an occupied area.

What installation manual are you using?

Jandy explicitly says don't put it under a deck.

Your first post says that the deck is 8 feet off the ground.

If the heater exhaust is 4 feet above the ground, then the exhaust is only 4 feet below the deck.

That's going to put a lot of very hot, toxic gas directly into an occupied area.

Actually it is under my Gazebo, which is 12 feet off the ground. The heater is 8 feet below the bottom of the Gazebo. See my pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.