Skimmer cracked?

Apr 20, 2015
Mishawaka, IN
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already - but any possible way to patch the bottom of my skimmer? I'm losing somewhere between 1-2" of water per day and so far this spot looks like the culprit based on my testing.

NOT looking forward to having to dig this out and replace it but will if I have to. Gladly accepting tips on that process if you have any as well!

Thanks in advance!

9d6a32220c34d9c9e0df5e175c2885cc.jpg

wm,

I would not want to dig it out either!!! So, before I, did I would at least try to patch the crack with some waterproof epoxy.

I assume that you know the crack is the problem because you let the water drop until it stops and it stops below the mouth of the skimmer???

I would drain until below the skimmer, hit it with a little course sand paper and apply the epoxy. It would be worth it even if it just allowed you to use the pool until the end of this season.

Good luck with your project,

Jim R.

I assume that you know the crack is the problem because you let the water drop until it stops and it stops below the mouth of the skimmer???

Yes - once the water gets to the bottom of the skimmer, water loss slows to match evaporation rates. Also, sealing off skimmer with my winterizing plug in the bottom makes no difference, so it can't be in the buried plumbing (thank goodness).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.