New to us house with pool

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

My husband Fred and I moved into our home about 3 weeks ago, trying to learn as much as we can to keep our pool crystal clear.

Our filter reading is always around "20", we have backwashed it once and it seemed to stay around 20. I have read some filters read 4/8? Also we run our pump 24/7, I am so nervous not to run it and lose our clear pool, but have also read where people run pump 8/10 hrs a day.

Thanks for all the help!

Lynn

Welcome! There is so much to learn here it seems daunting at times but it is really pretty easy once you understand the basics.

Its possible you have a bad gauge on the filter, Does it go to zero when the pump is off? You also may try backwashing it again in case its loaded up from the previous owners. Its hard to say how they treated the before before your ownership.

Also no need to run your pump 24/7 unless you have an algae issue happening. Everyone is different in their needs but we get away with running our pump 4-6hours a night. 8hrs in the summer when the demand is higher.

Hi,

My husband Fred and I moved into our home about 3 weeks ago, trying to learn as much as we can to keep our pool crystal clear.

Our filter reading is always around "20", we have backwashed it once and it seemed to stay around 20. I have read some filters read 4/8? Also we run our pump 24/7, I am so nervous not to run it and lose our clear pool, but have also read where people run pump 8/10 hrs a day.

Thanks for all the help!

Lynn
Filters run at different pressures, if you back washed for around 3 minutes then it should be clean. So you will Backwash at around 25. Mine runs at about 15 when clean and I backwash around 20. You only need to run the pump enough to keep the water mixed and clean. Try cutting back to maybe 10 hours, if it is still clean enough for you cut it back to 8. Keep reducing until it isn't filtering enough, pool is no longer clean enough to suit you. Then bump it up to the previous time. Somewhat trial and error and requirements will changes with the seasons.

Filters run at different pressures, if you back washed for around 3 minutes then it should be clean. So you will Backwash at around 25. Mine runs at about 15 when clean and I backwash around 20. You only need to run the pump enough to keep the water mixed and clean. Try cutting back to maybe 10 hours, if it is still clean enough for you cut it back to 8. Keep reducing until it isn't filtering enough, pool is no longer clean enough to suit you. Then bump it up to the previous time. Somewhat trial and error and requirements will changes with the seasons.
Here is a link to a good write up on setting run times. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Hi Lynn,

Cloudy water is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. If your water is clear, running your pump less shouldn't make it cloud up as long as you are keeping your chemistry good, and your FC and cya in balance. If you're nervous, try turning it off overnight to start...

You're likely paying somewhere in the $0.10/hour range to run your pump so overnight saves you about $1 a day... should almost pay for the chemicals you use (if you plan on following the TFP method).

Hi Lynn,

Cloudy water is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. If your water is clear, running your pump less shouldn't make it cloud up as long as you are keeping your chemistry good, and your FC and cya in balance. If you're nervous, try turning it off overnight to start...

You're likely paying somewhere in the $0.10/hour range to run your pump so overnight saves you about $1 a day... should almost pay for the chemicals you use (if you plan on following the TFP method).

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.