Geometric gunite pool build in west Houston suburb

pacman777

Gold Supporter
Sep 11, 2011
Finalized our pool design after meeting with 8 builders and getting 7 quotes. We negotiated and selected the builder that was in the middle of the range and probably has the best reputation. This website has been amazing in helping me make an informed decision with design considerations and builder selection. Here are pics of the layout, rendering and selections.

Some Specs:
Pebblesheen Aqua Blue
Pentair equipment
Rolled-edge spa
Travertine coping
Split-face Travertine on the back raised walls
Spray-deck for existing and new concrete decking
NOT saltwater
Cartridge filter
still debating between Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 ;);)

Attachments

• Pool0.JPG
    Pool0.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 689
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 671
Go with the TF-100 test kit. It has way more of the reagents you will use the most. The K-2006 only has enough for a few tests. The K-2006C gives you more, but still not as good value as the TF-100.
Also the How are you planning to chlorinate?

Go with the TF-100 test kit. It has way more of the reagents you will use the most. The K-2006 only has enough for a few tests. The K-2006C gives you more, but still not as good value as the TF-100.
Also the How are you planning to chlorinate?

Thanks for suggestion on TF-100, I think I'm leaning towards that especially with the discount for donating to this wonderful site. My only reservation was the good detailed review that a member posted in the VIP lounge forum highlighting K-2006. Regarding your question on how I plan on chlorinating, the builder includes a Rainbow 320 Chlorinator which I think are for the tabs. I haven't read up too much on methods yet, but it seems alot of experience members here just use liquid bleach and add directly into pool. I will probably do similar and use the tab chlorinator for when I'm out of town. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding method? Thanks!

I didn't want to have to sign my life away to the pool builder for them to honor any potential warranty issues without them blaming it on saltwater. I know it's overblown but figured with the knowledge from this website I can have a healthy chlorine pool.

For some reason Texas pool builders are really against SWCG's. Too bad, makes pool life really easy.

An alternative is a Stenner pump and tank for Liquid Chlorine. Only issue is you are in Houston were it is hot and the LC degrades pretty rapidly in the tank.

Good luck.

Looks great and the glass tile looks very similar to what we just put in.

The more I see geometric pools the more I like them.

One option our PB put in for us was a nichless conduit behind the sheer decent in case we ever wanted another light in the pool. We are going with 2 30w nichless and he wasn't convinced it would be enough and wanted to ensue we would be happy.

I know it's a preference but your pool would make a great Sports Pool with the 6ft section in the middle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great and the glass tile looks very similar to what we just put in.

The more I see geometric pools the more I like them.

One option our PB put in for us was a nichless conduit behind the sheer decent in case we ever wanted another light in the pool. We are going with 2 30w nichless and he wasn't convinced it would be enough and wanted to ensue we would be happy.

I know it's a preference but your pool would make a great Sports Pool with the 6ft section in the middle.

Thanks for the feedback! Actually those are ceramic tiles that somewhat looks like glass. Builder had glass tile options available but recommended ceramic for maintenance/upkeep. I actually considered having it be 6' in the middle but changed it to have the deep end all on one side. We still plan on having a volleyball net that spans across the the other 2/3 of the pool so it will be 15' and 15' on each side of the net where it will be 4' deep. I think our pool will have plenty of lighting as we will have 2 Pentair Color Intellibright LEDs (full size) on each side of the pool and 2 Globrites (which are Pentair's nichless I believe) on the sun shelf. Also the Intellibright color led spa light.

Gunite complete! They move fast!

2017-07-27_3508.jpg
2017-07-27_3510.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good. What's the name of the tile going on the waterline? It looks very similar to what we'll have for our toe tile.

Erik

We're doing the 6" ceramic tile for waterline which is a Master Tile brand model #MSAAY622 (went with 6" to minimize number of grout lines); We're doing 1" tile for the spa spillway and trim on the edge of the sunshelf and benches and steps which is also a ceramic Master Tile model# MASEM124

LOOK at that!! It looks like a real pool now!!! Have you started bonding with your pool yet? aka watering it. That helps the shell cure slower. This slows down the creaks. There might still be some so don't worry if you do see some. So long as you cannot fit your whole finger into them.

It is time for your Kimkats gift! Here is your own set of links!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also when I ask you what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.