K-2006C Just Arrived Today...YEAH! But I need help!

DebbieC

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
Naples/FL
Hi People! :wave:

I started posting last year but my pool was 6" unlevel and took a year to get where it should be (no, not working on it a whole year; laziness falls in here).

So I went on TFTestkits.net to order the TF100 kit but messed up royally as I didn't know how to navigate through the website and got the Taylor REFILLS and I didn't have a kit to begin with. I was going to buy what I needed to make it a TF100 kit but then I would be wasting all that I needed for the Taylor so until I finish all these supplies (box was WAY bigger than I thought - people will think I took up fishing!)...but I LOVE IT!!!!:testkit:I feel like a Scientist LOL

Okay, I've read a lot on here that I can't put things in proper order until I get better at this but one thing was said over and over "Post your results so we can help you!" So here I am! :rolleyes:

I have a SWG:
FC 4 (after 2 drops of R-0871 the pink turned colorless but it took me lots of spoonfuls to get it pink. Then when I added the R-0003 it only took 1 or 2 to turn pink again. Um, I think I messed this one up. I can't remember now but it didn't do what it was supposed to do the last couple of steps. Okay, I don't feel like a Scientist anymore. :(
pH 72
TA 40
CH 50
CYA 25 (tells me I need a stabilizer...don't know what to get or use)
Salt 2430 from AquaChek and it's telling me to replace 88% of my water????

If it really took lots of spoonfuls of powder, then you have almost zero chlorine. It should turn pink on one heaping spoonful. 2 drops times .2 = .4 FC, not 4

Hi Debbie.

Welcome to TFP. I remember your posts from last year.

I agree with you, I don't think you're testing quite right. I would. Suggest you head over to pool school, and read the ABC's of water chemistry, and also the article and videos about how to perform the tests. I know. It's a bit of a time commitment, but it will leave youuch less confused about how to test and interpret your results. About your salt level, it sound like maybe you haven't set your target level for salt in Pool math.

You should only need one scoop of powder, if it doesn't turn pink, assume your FC is zero. You can also use the 10ml sample, that way you multiply by 0.5 (divide in half) instead of x 0.2 its much easier math.

Thank you for your kind and very helpful response BestJoeyEver! :p

I get full of anxiety and want it done NOW. You are right though, I need to go back to Pool School and study this time and not just read.

It's no different than being real hungry and you see a huge meal in front of you and want to devour it in seconds. It's best eaten one bite at a
time and enjoy the meal, right? So I need to enjoy my time in school again.

I'll let you know how I do but today I have to head out and go visit my aunt as she has no other relative in the state.

Thank you again.

Hi Griswald, BestJoeyEver, and pabeader,
I realize now from all your posts that I didn't multiple by .2 I just multiplied the numbers and forgot the decimal point. Don't worry though, I learn best from my mistakes. ;)

Okay, I'm still in Pool School but I still need to keep my pool up. This morning I did the FC test and still 0 so I put in 31 oz of 10% bleach like Pool Math indicated. I went back out this afternoon and did another test; it's the same. I just checked now and it's still the same. I have the SWG and Sand filter running all day. Do I have to wait for a certain amount of time? Also, there's a little bit of dirt on the bottom as we didn't get a vacuum yet (pool truly is a money hole); could this be my problem?

I just tested the CYA and it's 0 as well.

Should I start as if I just filled the pool and do what Water Balance for SWG's say to do?

Will I ever understand this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read some more in Pool School and it seems I need Stabilizer to keep the chlorine in. I did the sock method overnight. I used what I had leftover from last year before I took the pool down so didn't have enough. I will get more after work and do it again tonight.

Last night I tied the sock to the leg of my ladder and moved it over in front of the return and it was totally empty this morning. It didn't read any CYA but I didn't add any bleach either so I added 32 oz this morning.

I read another post by Pvnisher named "New Intex SWG not working" and no one mentioned stabilizer to help get the CYA up...did I read wrong in Pool School?

They mention not to add anything else when adding stabilizer but it needs chlorine so should I add chlorine tonight BEFORE stabilizer? Little details get so confusing. :confused:

You should still continue to maintain your FC while the stabiliser is dissolving. Some pools show the cya on the test right away, some take a few days. Whatever poolmath says to add, just do half of that then wait a few days to test. This way you don't over stabilize your pool.

Pabeader, it started to get cloudy at the top. I did it in the kitchen light because it was still dark this morning when I did it.

I don't know if I have to wait so many seconds between drops or not. Sometimes it looked as if it was going blurry or if it was my eyes trying to concentrate on that one spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you BestJoeyEver! I love your name. It makes me smile every time I see it.

Pabeader, it started to get cloudy at the top. I did it in the kitchen light because it was still dark this morning when I did it.

I don't know if I have to wait so many seconds between drops or not. Sometimes it looked as if it was going blurry or if it was my eyes trying to concentrate on that one spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you BestJoeyEver! I love your name. It makes me smile every time I see it.
Haha, thanks (it's actually what my wife had engraved on the inside of my wedding ring).

I'd suggest you try the cya test outside in direct sunlight, back to the sun (so you're in your own shadow), hold the vial at waste height, and DON'T concentrate on the spot (you'll always see it if you try hard enough). Just glance at it as you squirt the solution in in small squirts. You can always pour it back in the bottle and try again. The dot has to be difficult to see, so not obvious that there's a dot there unless you look closely. There's a few videos both on this site, and the TFtestkits.net site that will show you how to do it.

BestJoeyEver; that makes it even more sweeter. The only problem now is whenever she gets mad at you I bet you say "You can't be mad at me, I'M the BESTJOEYEVER!!!!" LOL

Okay, I just ran out to do the test as the sun is going toward the ocean. It's not super bright since it is 7:30 PM but it's sunny here in SW FL!:sun:

I did it twice and both started blurring above 40 and below 30; on the Taylor test kit where it begins to turn up and outward. Would that be 35?

Always round up, so use 40.

The best advice I have seen on the CYA is from KimKats. Fill the vial to a line, say 90, glance in the vial, if the dot is there, fill to 80, repeat, etc. until you do not obviously see the dot with a glance.

I swear if I look at it while filling the vial I will see it to the top.

Take care.

I made a little chart to track my progress with the tests: (at least tonight I've got some numbers whether good or not; there's numbers)

DATEAM/PMFCpHCCTACHCYASALTChlorineBRCOMMENTS
07/21/17PM0 ppm7.2Not Tested40 ppm50 ppm25 ppm2430Not TestedNot Tested
07/23/17AM0 ppm7.2Not TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedAdded 31 oz 10% bleach around 9AM
07/23/17PM0 ppm7.4Not TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedDid stabilizer in sock tonight by return
07/24/17AM0 ppm7.0Not TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedNot TestedAdded 32 oz 10% bleach around 6:30AM
07/24/17PM3 ppm7.10.5 ppm40 ppm50 ppm40 ppm24304.0Not TestedAdded 7.7 oz of 10% bleach; 16 oz. Borax; 12 oz. Baking soda (supposed to be 23 oz but ran out)
07/25/17AM4 ppm8.00.5 ppm4.08.8Added 4 oz muriatic acid

I'm sorry to be writing again. I read as much as I can, played with the test kit for several days now and kept reading. I have an index card with the recommended numbers for a SWG and the Salt says "200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level". I have the card with all the tests, ie., FC, pH, TA, etc. with the recommended numbers. While using the test for the past few days, I only looked at what my number should be. I plugged in PoolMath and it's telling me I need to replace 88% of my water! So I've been concentrating on getting the other numbers right instead.

Well low and behold last night I read something then went back to my index card and couldn't believe it! I need to ADD more salt, not subtract. I couldn't figure why my salt test had 4 digit numbers when my index card had 3 digit numbers! :ncool:

Now my question because I can't remember where I was reading from. I put only 36 lbs. of salt instead of the 49 lbs recommended because that's all I have left.
Do I only run the sand pump like on the first day of adding salt or do I run my generator too? I'm getting lost trying to follow everything.

Somewhere I read first start with the salt. I can't find where I read that and don't know to add bleach or not...PoolMath indicates I need 19 oz.

I'm sorry but I'm totally tired and totally want to get this right. I only have evenings to work on this by the time I get home from work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.