Is that pool going to increase the value of your house by $x?

Now we should start a thread on how much your own little oasis costs.

Mine was $40k Pool/spa,
$5k retention walls, extra decking, and other hardscape,
$4k landscaping, and
$5k outdoor kitchen, bar and patio furniture.

So, around $54,000 all in. More than my original budget, but from what I see from others not a bad price for everything.

I think it depends where the house is located and how the pool is done. As others have said, pools and their associated landscape often transform bland or useless backyards (like mine) into usable, functional space which does increase or at least maintain value. Pools in climates with longer pool seasons (south, west) may also see a better value retention. And then there are places where a pool is almost expected and if you dont have one you'll see a hit to your home's value.

It will most definitely increase the value of my home in my own mind...thats all that counts since we have two little ones and will have years of enjoyment :)

Nope.

But Ive noticed in the LA area - if there are two otherwise identical houses the one with the pool will usually go first for closer to asking price.

UD

I've been lucky enough that both Homes I have owned had pools already built in.

Both had issues to work on but I didn't care (fun project i say!)

I will say in the context of my current home, the pool probably devalued the home.
The inground liner had popped out, was half full of green water and just looked terrible.
Fortunately for me, nobody wanted the house after they saw that. First thing
on my mind was awesome! Ended up getting the house for 25k less than asking
because of that. The inside needed some minor work but that rotted pool in
the back surely turned away many potential buyers.
Here's the thread on the rehab: https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/103787-Sold-house-with-a-pool-bought-another-house-with-a-pool

In any case, since I was a child growing up with above ground pools, I vowed
when I bought a home it was going to have a pool and I love having it and
taking care of it. It's a priority in my life to have one.

Yes if it is well maintained (meaning when you show the home, it looks fantastic).

The home we bought had a pool with pretty much old everything, and the local pool guys charged north of 200+ a month for maintenance. I knew nothing about pools at the time but we did know that we would have to do some replumbing in the pool shed and that the pool needed to be replastered.

First two weeks I learned what I could about pools, and did a drain of half the water because the people prior to me used nothing but pucks.

Did a replaster, redid all the pipe working, the pool's now raised the home value by a ton.

We looked a neighbors pool. It looks like a swamp.

Basically for homesale, its vanity for most people. If you want the home to sell for more, the more automation into the pool you put and the easier the maintenance sounds, the more it should raise the home value.

These are all "Shoulds".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the local market has a lot to do with it. What percentage of the homes in your area have pools? If the number is low, adding a pool is likely not going to affect the value of the house. If there are many pools in your market (over 50%) NOT having a pool can affect your resale opportunities.

Many people who are looking to buy, who want a pool, will not consider a home without one already installed. Why? Because they don't want to deal with all the mess, headaches, etc. that people go through to have one put in.

Make no mistake- having a pool installed will not pay itself back to your property value. But in given markets it will come close. The main deal is to buy it for yourself and your family and get as much utility as possible out of it.

Will spending x amount to installs pool give you x plus more, for the most part, no.

If the pool is already there, will spending x to update it give you x plus more, most likely.

Pools are not kitchens, they don’t sell homes, but if they are poorly maintained they do keep homes from being sold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.