First Time Pool Trouble

Jul 18, 2017
Fremont, NE
First year with pool trouble. I have an AGP 24' round. New 1.5hp pentair pump and 250# sand filter new at start of season. We have had our pool for 12 years with only minor problems. This year our cover tore over the winter and allowed debris into our pool. Upon setup I had a major malfunction with filter. It looked like a water fountain. So I purchased a new pump and filter which took me a few days. We stated developing black algae on bottom of pool. (at least that's what I think.) I initially shocked with 4# of shock which helped some. The past 2 days I shocked with 6# of shock for 2 consecutive days. After the first day i noticed a significant difference. After the second day still have spots on the bottom. I have been scrubbing, vacuuming daily and filtering constantly. I know patients is key. Just want to make sure I am on the right tract.

Welcome, doughboy62! The TFPC approach to clearing a pool entails a very specific set of fairly straightforward steps involving standard bleach and proper testing. It's called a SLAM, and there's a link to it in my signature. However, before you SLAM, you'll need to understand the state of your water, as how much bleach you add is dependent upon other factors. You'll also need to know your pH and lower it before SLAMming if it's too high -- the chlorine is more effective at lower pH values. I'm not sure what you're using to test your water, but I have a link in my signature to a comparison of recommended test kits. The TF-100 is the one I use, and the K-2006C is another one that is recommended. Either way, if you want to take control, I'd recommend getting a good test kit and following the instructions for a SLAM. The link to Pool School above is also recommended as a good starting point toward understanding the fundamentals of TFPC. If you are able to get a test kit, post your numbers and there are hundreds of active mods and experts on this site that will be happy to help. Good luck!

Your cya is 100? Do the dilution method to see what your cya is as it's over 100.

Fixing your pool will need a partial drain and refill, the pool store products ruined your water.

To prevent errors by us, please use this format for test results. Don't worry about the oto test(cl) that has other uses.

Fc
Cc
pHTa
Ch
Cya

Don't get discouraged, people have fixed worse!

So after dilution the tube was at 40? That would make your cya 80, did you do the test during the day or at night? If you did it at night it will be a good idea to do it again tomorrow because the cya test needs good outdoor light.

In pool math it will tell you what percentage, put 30 as your target and 100 (or 80 if your dilution test was during the day) as your current, which would be around 70%. I'm not certain but I think the nice agp pools can be drained fairly low but you might want to search about that. Cya is cheap and easily added in so if your pool type allows it and water is not too expensive, drain more than less.

After you get your cya under control, slam the pool.

Ok So I drained my pool down to 2' and refilled with fresh water.Fc 9Cc .5pH 6.8Ta 80Ch 200Cya 60-70 do you round up to the highest number or count up to next line?Cl ppm 5

- - - Updated - - -

Ok So I drained my pool down to 2' and refilled with fresh water.Fc 9 Cc .5 pH 6.8 Ta 80 Ch 200 Cya 60-70 do you round up to the highest number or count up to next line? Cl ppm 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you speaking about CYA you round up. I find the best to do that test is simply fill the tube to each line as you test. So I start with filling to the 70, glance, to the 70, glance, etc until I no longer see the dot. If you stare I swear I can see it all the way!

It appears you need to SLAM from previous posts. You can do it at a CYA of 70, just takes diligence as your shock FC will be 28.

Take care.

Pool math help trying to increase ph from 6.8 to 7.4. Add 1.5 boxes of Borax right.

Your TA is 80. Do not add Borax. Your pH will rise with aeration.

Also - I thought you need to SLAM? A pH of 6.8 is Ok to start. It will rise during the SLAM but do not test it as your FC will be above 10 and make the pH test invalid.

Prerequisites:
Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

I guess I was confused after reading pool school and thought this needed to be done first? if pH 6.8 is ok to start with I will start to SLAM!

There has to be a range to put in the guidelines. Since you will not be able to test pH during the SLAM it is most likely that it will rise during the process. Also, chlorine is more effective at lower pH so it attacks the algae better.

As long as you know the pH is 6.8 and not lower, SLAM away. If you have some way to aerate a bit the pH will rise from that. Point a return to the surface of the water, etc will assist.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.