New pool build - Arkansas

LOVE the placements of them!!! and 2 skimmers? Sweet! You will have a good rotation of water to keep the pool clear!

Oh and I LOVE your user name! I teach Kindergarten and call "my kids" monkeys LOL How old are your kids?

Kim:kim:

Well we have a floor. That was pretty exciting. The gunite comes tomorrow. I can't wait for that.

Kim, God bless you. A kindergarten teacher is a special calling!! The boys are 8, 12, and 14. They are definitely monkeys but they're my monkeys. They're reeeaaalllly excited about the pool.

20170719_071943.jpg20170719_072710.jpg20170719_071535.jpg20170719_073249.jpg

Well that is new to me........they used concrete for the floor? So only the walls will be gunite? I am guessing the plaster will cover it all in the end. It is so neat to see how different things can be done. I would love to pick your PB's brain on why he does concrete + gunite instead of all gunite.

You are going to LOVE having a pool to wear your monkeys out! They will sleep SO good after a good swim session! Do they know HOW to swim? What kind of door/window locks/alarms will you be installing?

I will definitely ask him about that tomorrow. Now I'm concerned - not that I can really do anything about it at this point.

Yes, they all know how to swim. We're putting locks on our gates and am researching pool alarms. We've had door alarms forever. To be honest, that part does scare me.

Oh no worries about how he did it I am sure. In fact I wonder what the difference is between concrete and gunite? On the surface they are both "shot" out of a hose or chute, they can both be "shaped", and they both dry hard. Off to study up and see..............don't worry your head about it.

Please do a search for water alarms on here. Use the white search at the top of the page. This only goes to TFP threads so that should help narrow it down some.

Ohhhhhhhhhh look what I found!!!! Gunite, Shotcrete, and Concrete...

There are others. It looks like they are the same! So REALLY no worries! I love learning new things!! :hug:

Gunite crew is here! Approximately 24 yards today. We had 17 yesterday. I can't wait to see the finished product. Also, I asked about the concrete floor. He said it holds up better in our area. In fact another contractor called him last week about a relatively new pool that they're having to tear up the floor and re-do it. He said they have multiple every year with issues. Not all but enough that he doesn't like to chance it.

Gunite.jpg

Gunite crew.jpg

Oh, and the roof damage was fixed yesterday and the guttering is getting replaced today. It's a little cramped so he didn't need a ladder. :D
Gunite - Roof.jpg

Just wanted to say hi from your neighbor down the hill! I live in the river valley & know its' going to be HOT, HOT, HOT in our area for the next few days. Hope that crew stays plenty hydrated! Your pool is looking great! I really enjoy following these types of builds. I hope to one day have an IG, as well.

Hello! Today is going to be the hottest day of the year. 110 heat index. Ouch! They were already sweating at 6:00 this morning. Poor guys. I have an ice chest with plenty of water and Gatorade. I'll have to keep it replenished for them.

I like knowing why things are done the way the are by different people in different areas. It helps me learn! THANKS for asking! :hug:

Guess what you get today..................your own set of links for caring for your pool when it is done. Yeah it does seem a little early but it is a lot of info so I like to give POs plenty of time to read and re read the info so they will be ready when it is time to use it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also the time to ask your PB what test kit he will be providing. BUT I do want to remind you that you will get a discount on the TF-100 for being a supporting member! Now would be time to start thinking about ordering it so we can walk you through the test and make a shopping list after you test your fill water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gunite is finished. Now we have to finalize plaster color and tile.

gunite finished.jpggunite finished 2.jpggunite finished 3.jpg

Thanks for the links Kim. I'll print them out and review. Also, I plan on ordering a TF-100 kit shortly. I'll definitely need some help and practice with testing.

Just let me know when your test kit gets there and we will work on it together!

Did your PB saying anything about bonding with your new pool aka watering it? Several PBs have the PO use a hose to water the shell to help slow down the curing. It will slow down the cracks. Just know it might still crack and that IS very normal so no worries if you see them. You can also use a sprinkler when you get tired of bonding with it LOL

Thanks! We originally planned on putting artificial grass in the gaps but I think the rocks turned out ok. Overall, we're really happy. Outside of the fact it took 11 months instead of 3 like we were initially told!!

So far so good on testing. I was completely intimidated at first as neither one of us ever had a pool. But, it's been relatively simple so far. I'm sure I'll have issues at some point though. ;)

One question, we don't have a light on our tanning ledge and it gets really dark at night. Are there simple options to add some sort of lighting for that area?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.