5MARC

Sep 19, 2016
Central Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had the pool up for a couple weeks, just filled with water from the house spigot. (that took 2 days)
Just got my test kit & tried to run some numbers last night:
PH 8
CYA 0
FC 0

Not sure what process to start. Water is clear, pool sides are clean & clear (not slimy).
I feel like I'm on borrowed time with how good it looks & I'm going to come home one
day & it's going to be a green, slimy nightmare that I can't reel back in.
I feel like I need to get CYA up so I know how much, if any FC I have, but I'm just not
sure if that's the right start.

HELP!

Welcome! Yes, if it's me, I'd get some bleach in there ASAP. You can use PoolMath (link at top) to calculate how much you need to add to get to the appropriate level given your CYA level of 0 (per the FC/CYA Chart link pooldv provided). Just know you also need to get CYA in there as quickly as possible too, or you'll lose most if not all the FC you're adding to UV -- not to mention what is going to be used by organics/algae in the pool. You can use PoolMath to calculate how much cyanuric acid to add to get to your desired level. Most here recommend dry and to put it in a sock in the skimmer to dissolve (squeezing it often to speed up the dissolve). Note that it can take quite a while to register on tests, so do it incrementally so you don't overshoot your CYA.

I would say those are the first two to stabilize, then you can tweak your other numbers as required.

I have put 1.5 gallons liquid shock in it with 10% chlorine over the last couple weeks. I will get CYA in it tonight and more liquid shock to bring that up some too. Ok to put both in tonight, or do them on separate days?

1 /2 gallon will barely get you above the required 3ppm FC... and with no CYA, it will be gone in less than a day. I would get bleach in there ASAP and CYA. Best to put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of the return. That will get it mixed into the water faster. I made the mistake of putting it in my skimmer the first time and it got trapped in the sand filter forever...

How did you get 15,000 gallons? A 26' pool at 48" is 15,900? How deep in the water in the pool? I have the 18' X 52", but I have never been able to have 52" of water in it. If it does have 52" of water that would put you over 17,000 gallons. You want accurate numbers so you get the right amount of chemicals added.

Have you played around with the pool calculator yet? Its a great tool, and there is also a pool math app, for IOS and Android. I use the paid Android version and it saves all my test logs.

At 15K gallons, you need 63oz (by volume) of solid stabilizer to get to 30ppm...

I have not measured the depth, I'll have to double check that. 48" of water is probably more accurate. The pool math calculator is a little daunting at the moment, as there's a lot of info in it & probably some I don't necessarily need, but it looks like it kicks out the numbers I need, as long as I can decipher it. [emoji1303]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point you just need accurate pool volume (at the top) and in the yellow "suggested goal levels" at the bottom select trouble free pools, bleach and vynyl....

Right now you are just worried about FC, CYA and PH.

At 48" depth, you need 88oz (by volume) of stabilizer... I would go a little under, maybe 80ish.

If PH is really 8, you will need to add some acid to bring it down, but I would focus on the CH a and CYA first.

I have had the pool up for a couple weeks, just filled with water from the house spigot. (that took 2 days)
Just got my test kit & tried to run some numbers last night:
PH 8
CYA 0
FC 0

Hello and Welcome to TFP! It's good to see another user from Ohio!

Add CYA to get up to 40,
add bleach immediately to get FC to 7ppm. I
f you start to see cloudy water, you need to SLAM it.

Depending on how much sun your pool gets, you will loose 2-3ppm of chlorine per day. You will have to add that back into the pool each day. Many here use regular unscented bleach that you get at your favorite grocery store or Walmart. In your size pool (26' ft diam x 48" water depth) of 16,000 gallons, you will need to add about 1/2 jug of regular bleach per day. Use PoolMath to get the exact amount.

You also need to get your self a test kit. I highly recommend the TF-100. There is a link below in my sig.

What do the TA & CH do for me / how critical are those numbers?? Pool has been looking good with pH & cya adjusted & FC kept up. How critical are those other parts??

With a vinyl pool CH is not an issue unless it rises and gets into the scaling tendency range. You should test every month or so to see how yours trends.
The TA will drive your pH. If your pH is stable, no need to mess with it.

Hope that helps. Take care.

TA = Total Alkalinity. It has an affect on the stability of pH (which is important)
CH = Calcium Hardness. Low calcium is of no concern in a vinyl lined pool. High calcium can cause scale to form in any pool.

Pool School is your friend. It's that button at the upper right of this page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.