Irishcolt

Jun 13, 2022
NE Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Anyone have any idea of what this might be (see pics)? It's not flaky, more of like a slim.

I'm thinking it may be left over remnants of calcium. Roughly 4 days ago, I topped my water off with my well water. It has a PH of 8.4 coming out of the spigot. The next day when I opened the automatic pool cover, there was a slimy coating right at the water line all around the liner. It came off really easily with a brush. Ever since then I have been seeing this stuff floating in my water and I can't seem to get rid of it. It makes the water a little cloudy. It does settle to the floor when the pump isn't running. I have been using the robot to clean (which is picking it up) and I've been backwashing the filter; did it yesterday and the pressure is already up 3 PSI. I've put a knee high sock on the skimmer basked and it seems to be picking up quite a bit too.

I'm thinking the PH may have gotten too high when filling it with my well water.....

PH =7.2
TA=150
CA=425
FC=8
CC=0
CYA=45
No OCLT

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9
Fluff from plant catkins...poplars or willows..likely...

Fluff%20Story.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I don't think it's calcium. I don't suppose you can gather any of that stuff up can you? What about the cover? Have you inspected underneath it well to see if it's releasing anything that might be contributing to this stuff?

PS has a good point about pollen. Are you seeing junk like this settling in your area?

There does seem to be alot of pollen dust around. I figured the pollen would stay on the surface of the water and not in the water. Cottonwood trees are also starting to drop cotton.

I also considered it could be pollen from when the autocover is opened and then closed. All the pollen that may be sitting on the top gets transferred to the bottom when rolled up. Didn't think there would be that much.

I did gather some and it put in a cup.

Sounds like I should treat it as pollen and keep the skimmer sock on and backwash whenever the pressure is 25% above normal.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.