Where do I start? Refilling my pool now....

Jun 20, 2017
Chicago
I've been browsing through the forums and read a few pool school articles, but I'm hoping maybe someone can give me specific advice.

We just purchased a home last week that had a pool that had not been opened in years.

We brought out a pool inspector, and a pool company, and it was recommended to us to drain the pool then acid wash it.

A company came out yesterday to do so (that's a WHOLE other story, feeling like we got totally taken advantage of) but the end result we have a much cleaner pool.

We have started filling it with two hoses, and its about 20-30% full now.

We started doing all of this before we even move into the house in hopes that we can get the pool up and running quickly to enjoy it some this summer.

We have to head out of state to pack up our stuff for the move and will not be back to the house/pool until next Thursday (9 days).

The previous homeowner will still be living at the property until next Wednesday, so he will be turning on the filters for us (we already opened the pool to get the pool inspector out).

What chemicals do we need to put in the pool to start?

We won't be able to do daily tests and check the levels until we move in next week, we just wanted to get the water started and let it start warming up.

Ideas?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

First you are going to need a good test kit, such as the TF-100 (tftestkits.net) or the Taylor K2006C (amazon). I prefer the TF-100 with a Speed Stir (makes testing much easier/better accuracy and precision). You are going to need to stock up on bleach (several gallons), Stabilizer, and 1 gallon Muriatic Acid (31% stuff). You can get the bleach and stabilizer at Walmart and the acid at Homedepot. Please fill out your profile signature and list your pool info (total gallons, pool surface type, filter type, pump type, robots, Saltwater generator, general pool info, etc).

As for the 9 day absence you could put Trichlor tabs in a floater and it may get you by...Somebody will chime in with better advice! The most important thing is to get a good test kit.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

First you are going to need a good test kit, such as the TF-100 (tftestkits.net) or the Taylor K2006C (amazon). I prefer the TF-100 with a Speed Stir (makes testing much easier/better accuracy and precision). You are going to need to stock up on bleach (several gallons), Stabilizer, and 1 gallon Muriatic Acid (31% stuff). You can get the bleach and stabilizer at Walmart and the acid at Homedepot. Please fill out your profile signature and list your pool info (total gallons, pool surface type, filter type, pump type, robots, Saltwater generator, general pool info, etc).

As for the 9 day absence you could put Trichlor tabs in a floater and it may get you by...Somebody will chime in with better advice! The most important thing is to get a good test kit.

Thanks!

It currently has NO chemicals in it, so should we add any chemicals before leaving it for 9 days (then just come back and check it and then try to get it going), or add chemicals and leave tabs in a floater?

Right now I think we are leaving in it to get warm and then try to get it going next week, but I am worried about algae growing again?

Can you stop him? You don't need the pool store...all you need is bleach, CYA, acid and maybe Trichlor pucks! You really need a good test kit, our methods require you have a Taylor 2006C or the TF-100! That should be your first priority, get one ordered now! The Pool Store will sell him a bunch of stuff that pool does not require! I beg of you, trust me on this one...

Ok I told him not to go to the pool store :)

We ordered the test kit on Friday I think (will have to check). Just want to get some stuff mixed in with the hose water, then figured I would start testing it and get it up to speed once we move in next week

Will the previous owner add bleach to the pool until Wednesday? If yes, I will give you a plan to get the pool ready for Thursday when you get back to the house. If not, we will work around that problem! What test kit did you order and when will it arrive? Please fill out your signature so we can quickly glance at your post to better answer your questions...Include pool size, robot, pool type (gunite, vinyl, Above ground or inground), chlorinator, Salt Water Generator, filter type, pump type (single, dual or variable speed), etc.

Will the previous owner add bleach to the pool until Wednesday? If yes, I will give you a plan to get the pool ready for Thursday when you get back to the house. If not, we will work around that problem! What test kit did you order and when will it arrive? Please fill out your signature so we can quickly glance at your post to better answer your questions...Include pool size, robot, pool type (gunite, vinyl, Above ground or inground), chlorinator, Salt Water Generator, filter type, pump type (single, dual or variable speed), etc.

My father in law can go add bleach to the pool until next week - any idea how much? Otherwise the former owner will. I think that is what we were thinking.

I have no idea about the stuff for my signature, we took photos of everything so I'll try to pull from that. My husband ordered the test kit, will find out!

That will work great! See instructions below:

1. Go to Wal-mart and purchase 2 4lb jugs of Stabilizer (should list Cyanuric acid as the main ingredient - 99%)

2. Purchase 15 - 20 Gallons of Pool Chlorinating Liquid (pool Section - 10% bleach) or Great Value Plain bleach (8.5% Bleach) (do not get the splashless or scented bleach)

3. Make sure pump is turned on and runs 24 hrs per day.

4. Place the stabilizer in a sock (104 oz - 6.5 lbs) and hang it in front of your return. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissolve.

5. Assume your CYA level is 30 and add 3 jugs of bleach.

6. Every day (assuming a loss of 4 ppm/day) add 1 gallon of bleach until you get back to the house.

At this point you should have your test kit. Test your tap water as practice/baseline post those results in this thread. Then test your pool water and post the results in this thread...Please test FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA, CH!

We will have specific advice once you get good test results...BTW, we like pictures!

HTH

Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That will work great! See instructions below:

1. Go to Wal-mart and purchase 2 4lb jugs of Stabilizer (should list Cyanuric acid as the main ingredient - 99%)

2. Purchase 15 - 20 Gallons of Pool Chlorinating Liquid (pool Section - 10% bleach) or Great Value Plain bleach (8.5% Bleach) (do not get the splashless or scented bleach)

3. Make sure pump is turned on and runs 24 hrs per day.

4. Place the stabilizer in a sock (104 oz - 6.5 lbs) and hang it in front of your return. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissolve.

5. Assume your CYA level is 30 and add 3 jugs of bleach.

6. Every day (assuming a loss of 4 ppm/day) add 1 gallon of bleach until you get back to the house.

At this point you should have your test kit. Test your tap water as practice/baseline post those results in this thread. Then test your pool water and post the results in this thread...Please test FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA, CH!

We will have specific advice once you get good test results...BTW, we like pictures!

HTH

Tony

Lots of photos!

So when were buying the house as-is, we wanted to hire a pool inspector since it hadn't been opened/wasn't up and running.

In order to get the inspector out, we had to open the pool, no companies would come out and do it since they were booked, so we tackled taking the cover out, raking and pulling out as much algae as we could, and shocking it like crazy (this was mid May).

Photos!

Dropbox - Pool Before

Here are some before and during photos of the pool being drained and then acid washed

Dropbox - BEFORE

- - - Updated - - -

And a few photos of the pool after the acid wash...

Dropbox - AFTER

For how long they were there and how much they charged us, I expected it to be cleaner, perhaps some of it is permanently stained.

We've now had a pool inspector out and a pool company and we've heard some conflicting things regarding the condition of the gunite/marcite.

Well... I've tried editing my signature a few times now and it won't show up :(

27k Gallon Gunite Odd Shaped Former Algae Farm + Money Pit, 30+ Year Old Pool (could be original with the house!), Triton Sand Filter, Non-Working MiniMax 350M Heater, Pump Unknown (for now), Newer Safety Cover - AND TFT-100 TEST KIT IS ORDERED :) POOL PHOTOS - Before & In Progress

- - - Updated - - -

Well... I've tried editing my signature a few times now and it won't show up :(

27k Gallon Gunite Odd Shaped Former Algae Farm + Money Pit, 30+ Year Old Pool (could be original with the house!), Triton Sand Filter, Non-Working MiniMax 350M Heater, Pump Unknown (for now), Newer Safety Cover - AND TFT-100 TEST KIT IS ORDERED :) POOL PHOTOS - Before & In Progress

Ha. nevermind there it is!

Great property, a pool on lake front or river front that's nice.

I just got my pool acid washed today, from a company that does very good work, but they are known to be expensive. I paid $650. I almost never pay anyone to do anything, but I would do this again. I could have done it myself for around $200 renting a large pump and material and 6 hours of labor, but I felt this was worth having someone else do it.

I can see a few more projects in your future, replace the broken tile, if that pool equipment even works, it looks to be at the end of its life. All of these can be DIY projects.

Have you had the pump and filter running?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.