New build in Austin

Again it’s all up to you. That’s the beauty of a concrete pool. We are going 4-6 and are expecting our boys (including my 43 year old man-child) to jump from rocks we have close. I would have maybe even liked 6.5’ or deeper but after 6 foot we were no longer in standard depth territory and would had meant a significant increase in cost. Our 6 foot cost us nothing extra. I guess other than dig time.

Thanks for the nice comments on the design! Hopefully it looks as good drawn as it does completed. :)

Attached are the spec drawings and the equipment.

Couple questions:

1. The seating ledge is 18" deep and the tanning ledge is 9". Are these normal depths for this?
2. Do the pool light locations look ok for the type of lights sleected? I did not want the big volleyball sized lights and was told these should work fine.
3. Do you think we need the seating shelf in front of the spa?
4. Is anyone concerned about stairs coming down from tanning ledge versus to the left? I have seen a couple comments.
5. Anything on equipment list look odd? Kim I know you mentiponed something about the Ozone equipment earlier.
6. Do I need three pumps instead of two? One for hot tub, one for water features and one for pool? Or is that overkill? One company had bid it this way with 14 jets in spa.
7. Are the spa jets adequate?
8. Do we need the light to light up the tanning ledge?
9. Anything anyone would change?

Thanks!
PoolEquipment.jpg
Pool Layout.jpg

Here is a good read on the ozone systems...........in short they do not work very well for outdoor pools. You will already have a UV system-the sun so........

Ozone Claims

There many other threads about them. Use the white box at the top of the page for more reading.

-tanning ledge height-What kind of chair/lounger, if any, will you use on them? Do you want your bottom in, just over, or out of the water? Use that as at a guide for your depths. There is not "normal" we have found. If it for small kids to splash and play on then.............. If it is for adults to sit on chairs on then this......make it to fit your needs and wants.

-seating benches-where does 18" hit your when you are seated? Is that where you would want the water to be if you are sitting on the bench?

-lights-I like the placements! Should be no shadows in your pool!

-steps-I like where they are in front of the tanning ledge-I might tap it to the left a smige to make sure no one walks off without looking. I would make sure to have step/bench markers for sure!

-Seating bench-I would keep the one in front of the spa and to the side. I might lose the one by the patio though. It would widen your swim lane a bit. If someone want so sit and chat with the patio area they can sit on the spa one.

-pumps-not my strong suit so will leave those for someone else.

-light on tanning ledge-yes! Safety first! If you want to lose a light I would take the one from in front of the spa on the setting bench. I think the one on the step will shine over there.

Kim:kim:

Just my opinion, but that many lights seems like overkill. One on the tanning ledge sounds good but couldn't you just put one on either end of the pool (left and right in the drawing) and get rid of 2 others? It's tough because you've got so many different levels that you are trying to light up, so the only way to get all of those would be from either end of the pool.

As for tanning ledge height, it's all about preference. This was a tough decision for me as well since I've only been in two pools that had the ledge/shelf and they were both at 18" which seemed a little deep for my purposes. I have 2 kids (2.5 and 1.5) and while they loved playing on the ledge, 18" was just a little too deep for them to move around easily. We adjusted ours to about 12" and I think that will be perfect for both the kids and for us lounging on it (tbd as we are going through our remodel now).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How wide should the walls on the above ground spa be normally and/or for seating? This is why we changed from overflow to solid so we can use it for seating when we have get together a etc...thanks for any thoughts. Final design we are building is a few posts above this.

OK, so work has been ongoing. Looking good. Today I learned they have installed an in-floor cleaning system. I am not sure what the community here thinks about these and how they look when they are done. My concern was the number of drains/spouts I might see in the water. Attached are images showing most of the locations with two on each step and severl inside pool etc...

Also attached is our pool color with one of these devices next to it:

1. Is it ok to move forward witih this type of system.
2. Should I be concerned how many of these drains/spouts I will see when pool is completed?
3. Is there another sytem I should review? The pool builder is happy to change if I want something else.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2130.jpg

This system was listed in your specs. Some people love them. If they are installed right they work great. One of the biggest worries about the inground systems is the fact they are moving parts and moving parts wear out over time so.............It is up to you. I do like the fact they are using gray to help match you plaster color.

MY worry is toe stubbing. How far down do they go when they are not in use? If they stick up you and I both know someone will kick them...what happens then?

Appreciate the thoughts as always Kim. My PB is a good guy and will be removing the in floor...demo work will be needed but he understands this system was never fully explained to me. Personally I don’t like the idea of 20+ ‘sprinkler’ heads in a pool...especially a sport pool where people will be walking and playing a lot.

If anyone knows a good hydraulics/PB in Austin or central Texas let me know. My PB is happy to listen to additional thoughts on making sure the redo is done correctly.

Appreciate the thoughts as always Kim. My PB is a good guy and will be removing the in floor...demo work will be needed but he understands this system was never fully explained to me. Personally I don’t like the idea of 20+ ‘sprinkler’ heads in a pool...especially a sport pool where people will be walking and playing a lot.

If anyone knows a good hydraulics/PB in Austin or central Texas let me know. My PB is happy to listen to additional thoughts on making sure the redo is done correctly.

Athena Pools - stellar outfit.- perhaps you can hire them for a consult??

- I know I posted this earlier, was it deleted?!?!

That is awesome he is so willing to remove it and move on!! When will this happen?

Starting next week...I have Athena pools consulting on it. If he would have explained ‘your going to have 20+ ‘sprinkler heads’ on the floor of your pool and stairs I would have said no before they started...he knows I didn’t know this as I’ve never built a pool before and is being very cool about it...even letting Athena in to look at his work. He is a good guy...I just want it completed! It’s hot in Texas and time to swim! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.