1st time pool owner with 18' ag

In the Spa and Hot Tub Forum someone had their brand new spa turn yellow/brown on them when they filled and added chlorine. They just kept the filter running until the water cleared up on it's own. Are you catching a lot of yellow/brown stuff in your filter?

Adam

If the cartridge is brown that's a good sign you are filtering it out....I'm not sure if I already mentioned that you should replace the cart more often when there are problems - the Intex type filters are disposable and meant for 1-2 weeks with "normal" use. Any types of problems and they should be replaced more frequently. FYI. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion! We had planned on having the sand filter on there by now but we are still troubleshooting the pump issues... so since the pool only came with one filter, I guess I need to pick up some more. For now, I rinsed the cartridge out until it ran clear. That filter was SO dirty! That means its working, so that's good. The water still looks just slightly tinted today but very clear.

:idea: Last night I decided to do the overnight FC loss test to be sure I'm not growing anything. Here's the results:
8pm FC 5.5
6am FC 5
YEAH :!: :-D

Then I ran the swg for 2 hrs to see how much of an increase that would give me. I let it circulate for a while then retested:
10:30am FC 6

I think I'll need to run it more than 2 hrs a day, but at least that gives me an idea on output. I may just test each evening to see where I'm at and run the swg based on the results until I see some sort of pattern. Of course, this may all change when we get the bigger pump/filter on there.

I am ever so thankful to have you all on this site to turn to. I feel as though I'm not going at this all alone! :)

:wave: I did change the filter cartridge the other day. We had major storms this afternoon with HEAVY rainfall (pool needed topping off anyway!) but was curious as to how it would affect my test results this evening. To my surprise, it really didn't change them from how they've been coming out.
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.7

So glad it rained! The water has been so much clearer (almost completely clear) and I was afraid if we topped it off with well water that it would turn green again. Still need to get the water tested at another pool store...

Tonight we FINALLY got the 3/4 hp pump and 100# sand filter up and running! The filter has fresh, new sand and a new pressure gauge and the pump has a new filter basket lid (a piece was chipped off and we weren't getting a good seal). My husband also had to clean out the impeller on the pump and use some wd40 to get it turning (it had been sitting for a while). That was it!!! We backwashed the filter to clear out the new sand of dust and debris then switched it to filter and watched it move some water through that pool! What a difference from that little cartridge filter and pump. :shock:

In the near future we plan on:
Puting the pump on a timer.
Building a deck extending from the back porch up to the pool edge so we don't have to use that rickety ladder!

We are enjoying our pool SO much! I can't believe it's finally a reality and we are pool owners!!! YEAH!!!! :party:

You might want to suggest or tell DH that I suggested that he lube the pump with something else besides WD40, WD is a temporary lube and he needs to get something else as a constant lube.
I had the same pool last year, loved it! Something that I learned a few years and pools ago, put 2" or 1/12" styrofoam under the pool (and pavers or blocks under the legs) makes for a nice cushion under the pool and also insulates it.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.