Water pups?

Jun 5, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone else have dogs that are addicted to the pool? My two girls are in it all day long and I can't blame them because living in Vegas we experience many days over 100°. My dad's dogs is here once a week and she loves getting in too. Do your dogs love to swim? How has this affected your bleach usage? Wondering if I'm going to be throwing a gallon or more in every day. I guess they say having a dog in the pool is equivalent to 10 people so I guess I've got a party going on every day.

Yup! Our dog is obsessed. 100 lb golden retriever/lab mix. The only problem is he swims towards the humans and his nails are water weapons!

For us it's mostly the hair that's an issue. Doubling up the hairnets at the skimmer when it's doggie day.

I've never had a dog in my pool so I can't answer about chlorine usage. If they are swimming everyday, I'm guessing they are pretty clean from the swim the day before unless they are rolling in dirt after their swim. I would think fur would be a bigger problem.

Yup! Our dog is obsessed. 100 lb golden retriever/lab mix. The only problem is he swims towards the humans and his nails are water weapons!

For us it's mostly the hair that's an issue. Doubling up the hairnets at the skimmer when it's doggie day.

Oh that's good to know! I'm planning on getting some nets for the skimmer, but do they work if you're using the angel handle thing from tftests? Just ordered one because our handle broke and we often have bees in our basket.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never had a dog in my pool so I can't answer about chlorine usage. If they are swimming everyday, I'm guessing they are pretty clean from the swim the day before unless they are rolling in dirt after their swim. I would think fur would be a bigger problem.

That's actually pretty logical. I didn't think about that. They do run through the dirt but I'm sure it's no worse than what my 4 crazy kids drag in on their feet.

My Casey (hence the username) loved to swim. She had to be in the pool every time we used it or she would cry so loud. I remember my daughter saying once, "Mom.... I don't want to swim with Casey!!!" I told her, "Get out of the pool then!" It was her pool. She was great about not using it unless I was out there with her. I spent many hours throughout her life sitting on the deck, throwing a ball in the pool and she'd go get it. I now have a boxer who loves to swim but not like Casey did. She was an under water swimmer and even dove to the bottom of the pool to retrieve diving rings and such.

I joke that the pool belongs to my dog Scooby... can't keep him out of it. He tries to get in the pool before the winter is completely removed.... he doesn't care what the weather is like.

I swear he is part otter.

I just started a pool remodel and let him swim while the pool company drained it. He swam up to the point that when the water was too shallow for him.

He will walk back to the pool for another swim when it is time to go inside... all the while ignoring me when I call him.

The worst part is when I'm dressed up for a client meeting and he goes for a morning swim... not fun trying to dry him off while dressed nicely.

The good news is that the swimming keeps him so clean that I don't have to bath or brush him when the pool is open. The bad news is that he throws his dirt covered toys in the pool (he plays fetch with himself by tossing his toys in the water). I just keep my oversized SWG turned up and don't have any issues.Scooby throw the ball.jpg

Wish we got to swim as often as the dogs do, Yellow Labs. The younger one is in every chance he gets or makes for himself. He dries in about 15 mins. The older has fur like a cotton ball. She literally takes 3-4 hours to dry completely. She has arthritis so the pool is great exercise for her.

This pic was their first swim after filling it. Now there's usually around 6 broken sunk balls in the deep end at any time. They don't make tennis balls like they used to.

IMG_2020.jpg

Wish we got to swim as often as the dogs do, Yellow Labs. The younger one is in every chance he gets or makes for himself. He dries in about 15 mins. The older has fur like a cotton ball. She literally takes 3-4 hours to dry completely. She has arthritis so the pool is great exercise for her.

This pic was their first swim after filling it. Now there's usually around 6 broken sunk balls in the deep end at any time. They don't make tennis balls like they used to.

View attachment 64347

I buy Ultra Chuck It balls. They are solid rubber, hold up well to chewing, don't break and don't sink.

Other options are Chuck It Amphibious Duck diver and shark. They float and sit higher than balls so the dogs can see them better in the water. I put them away when not swimming as they don't hold up to my female's habit of chewing on all toys.

We don't have a pool yet, but are in the earliest planning stages of putting one in within the next year, if all goes well. This guy is one of the main reasons why. He's our boy and loves the water any time of the year! And his baby pool just isn't cutting it anymore. Playing a game of fetch in the pool and then lounging on a baja shelf with him would be just about perfect.
20150720_160437.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My dogs love the Baja step! My corgi likes to swim the length of the pool, or jump on my raft, but my other dog just likes to hang out on the Baja step.
24f8a77a76b7621cac1fff6bde9f92e3.jpg

3f023e446378e83ae493e420ead9a1a5.jpg
My sister brought her little coton de tulear over on the 4th. He's old and feeble and can barely walk, but he loved the pool. He kept jumping in all day. Here he is riding on my daughter, but he swam around on his own quite a bit too. He liked to get under the waterfall and let it run down on him.

My dogs (a dachshund and a big mutt) won't get near the water.

e9ee694ace900508d4f2779032b6b0ad.png

This all my mutt did all day - run along the edge and bark at people. She wore her pads down so much she could hardly walk the next day. We had to give her pain meds. She's all better now and back to her goofy self.

Hi. We have 2 labs, a 3 yr old black lab who is just a nut! And a 3 legged 12 yr chocolate. They both love the pool and swim probably more than anyone else in our house! Our black lab loves to float around on the rafts while taking a break from fetching!
PS the bottle was only near the pool to take the pic and then was quickly removed from the danger zone!

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 446
I have 2 Goldendoodles. One loves the pool and the other one only goes in if I pick her up and put her in it. The younger one will nose her ball into the pool on purpose and then dive in and get it, over and over again. The older Doodle just runs around the outside of the pool barking at her. I swear she's afraid she is going to get hurt or something.

I have 2 Goldendoodles. One loves the pool and the other one only goes in if I pick her up and put her in it. The younger one will nose her ball into the pool on purpose and then dive in and get it, over and over again. The older Doodle just runs around the outside of the pool barking at her. I swear she's afraid she is going to get hurt or something.

Have you ever had any issue with your dogs and your vinyl liner?

I have a tool for you-Drimel tool with the sandpaper barrel. It might take some training to get them used to the noise but it is SO worth it! The biggest thing it has over clippers is you can smooth off any and all sharp points. What I do is clip the nail short then use the drimel to smooth everything down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.