Please help. Haven't opened pool in 3 1/2 years. Never had a pool! Severe help needed

The pressure is up to 15 right now and when I close the main drain it goes down very minimally

This quote was from the other day, so I am assuming the situation is still similar. But for some reason I thought you were filtering with Skimmer wide open and bottom drain just cracked open (but could be confusing with another thread). So just to understand present condition what are your valve settings and pressures?

The only way I know to vacuum is to use the vacuum attached to the Skimmer. But if there is minimal pressure when main drain is closed, that means skimmer line is clogged and not only will not have enough suction to vacuum but also not enough water for pump. So it may be time to develop a plan on the clogged skimmers (if still clogged), since you will be home on vacation the rest of week. You can shut off valve to skimmer and keep filtering with bottom drain while working on skimmer line.

But before you do anything get Swampwomans approval, do not want to mess up anything she is doing. Do not want too many chefs, ruining the soup situation messing things up and Swampwoman definitely the best one to be the chef in this soup.

Just a tip since I've sort of been through this when I bought my house... consider doing a pressure test on all the plumbing. I started everything and came back the next day and lost about 10,000 gallons. The water was below the returns. It all appeared to work normal but the pvc was sheered underground at the inside wall of the returns, but stayed in place enough to look like it was working. I took a 1/2 inch pvc cap, drilled a hole big enough for a valve stem (pushed in from the inside of the cap and seated in the hole) and then connected it to the disconnected line I wanted to test with a rubber 1/2 plumber coupling with the metal band clamps on each end. Then filled it up with a compressor n checked it often with a tire gauge. A rig I used before on testing the plumbing of a turbo car for boost leaks ha. My pool was winterized by the house flippers though and they did a bad job getting all the water out of the lines..

The pressure has luckily returned to normal levels the other day so that's a plus. I did another cya test another it appears to be at 40. Did a fc check this morning and it held from yesterday. I actually just found a leaf vacuum attachment at the house just need to buy the mesh bag for it. Going to attempt vacuuming once I get that and everything seems to be clearing up aND most of large debris is out now. At what point does SLAM end and get closer to actually opening this bad boy?

The pressure has luckily returned to normal levels the other day so that's a plus. I did another cya test another it appears to be at 40. Did a fc check this morning and it held from yesterday. I actually just found a leaf vacuum attachment at the house just need to buy the mesh bag for it. Going to attempt vacuuming once I get that and everything seems to be clearing up aND most of large debris is out now. At what point does SLAM end and get closer to actually opening this bad boy?

That's great that FC held overnight! SLAM ends when the water is clear (and FC holds overnight, and CC <= 0.5), for good reason. Right now you still have some kind of debris at the bottom. When you overturn that stuff, what's going to be under it? Possibly some algae or bacteria. It loves hiding under debris so that chlorine can't reach it. So by keeping at SLAM levels even when FC holds, as you brush and vacuum, all those little hiding places for algae get overturned and the continued SLAM level FC helps kill it. So even though it looks like the chemistry part of the problem is solved, keep that bleach pouring until it's clear to the bottom!

Do you have a new picture to show us? :)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So I took these photos before finishing up brushing and more vacuuming so I'm about 99% cleaned up. I lost a lot of water to waste but replaced it but the fc dropped from 14 this morning to 9 after losing all the water but I put more in. Not sure if I should be doing any other tests besides fc or cya or that comes when slam is done

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For OCLT, if the water looks good and clear and you feel you're near done the slam, you would add to target, say 17 ppm since your Slam level is 16.

You'd test the FC (after sunset, because you will always lose FC in sunlight) - lets say it reads 17.

In the morning, preferably in dark before sun rises, you test the FC again. If it is 16 or 17 and the cc reading is .5 or less, you've "passed" the slam.

What the test shows is an absence of chlorine loss in the dark of 1 ppm or less. Then you know there's nothing left to "kill" ;)

Awesome. I usually turn pump off at night should I leave it on tonight?

wow...so i had a reading of 5.5 FC earlier today and it said put in 208oz. ( didnt realize this was 6% bleach i believe mine was 7.6%) I put in the proper amount as i have been all along and it shot up to 19 FC. Is it alright if it is that high? I also rechecked the cya and it was probably around 35

Yes, I would leave it on until Swampwoman or Pool Amateur tells you it's ok to turn off.

Here is a thread titled. OCLT question. Below comments are form TFP Moderator Texas Splash that may be helpful to your situation. Good luck.
"We would be glad to help you. But I have to be honest first .. this statement concerns me:
I'm not SLAMing anymore now, but I want to make sure there are no problems, i.e. algae hiding anywhere and using up the FC.

That seems to indicate you really didn't pass the SLAM earlier because passing the OCLT is 1 of 3 parts to passing the SLAM. As such, I would recommend resuming your SLAM FC shock level of at least 12, leave the pump running, and don't stop until you know for sure you've passed the OCLT and other two SLAM requirements. You've come this far, don't let up now. :smile:

Also see: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

To answer a couple questions though:
- Pump doesn't have to be on 24/7 unless you are doing the OCLT in conjunction with (or end stages of) a SLAM
- OCLT does not have to be too high. Minimum of 3 ppm should work. If I were you, I would increase FC to about 6 though only because you seem to be losing a bit more FC that you like after opening-up this season and you really don't want to fall below your minimum at any time. 3 is pretty low. You don't have to change anything on your SWG, just add a little regular bleach to raise the FC tonight just for the OCLT starting number. Hope that helps."

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/112594-OCLT-question

ok well i did the test this morning and the reading was 17. I turned the pump off (didn't see your message til this morning ) and the sun was beating down on it for maybe 2 hours since i didnt get to test as early as i wanted to. But the CC is 0. Is that not considered passing because it went down 2 or is it within wiggle room due to pump being off and sun hitting it for few hours?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.