Northlake, TX New Pool Build

Thanks Kim...wife is very happy with it. Keeping the babies in the house is a challenge but our dog Charlee is so smart. She walks around the dug up dirt so that helps keep the house clean. Rebar and plumbing tomorrow...yea!

Day 3 of the build and all going well. Rebar completed and plumbing will finish up today. PE all set as well....we did loose internet due to cut line so I'm here at Starbucks to post...

Thanks Kim...I did and all is good. I made a few changes and will update by Tuesday since internet is down...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ctrav, thanks for linking me to your build. The specs look good. Your original post and the pic of your design show two different depth profiles. The only thing I would suggest you double check is your 4' depth and slopes. Where do the slopes start? Do you have enough space at 3.5' and 4' before the slope begins? If the slope starts real close to the ends of the pool, be sure that 4.5' is a good depth for your family as most of the pool will be in that range. Do you have pool you can test that out with? Also did you go with 5 or 5.5' in the middle? We did 5' and it was a good choice for us as we actively play sports like basketball and volleyball.

Brian thanks for the questions. As you can see when I first posted I was all over the place. The pool will be 4' on each end and 5.5' in the middle although I did consider stoping at 5'. My rational for the final depth selection was due to the hot Texas summers and my hope that just a little deeper would help with cooling. I do not have a spa but do have 2 tanning ledges with depth of 8" on the large one and 10" on the smaller one. Both ledges have bubblers and I had them install aerators to help with cooling...keep the water moving. Final pool size as I have measured and confirmed with PB is 36x19 for the most part and 36x16 in one area. This is our first pool and really appreciate the feedback...

Ok thanks for clarifying. With 4' sides and 5.5' middle, your average depth will actually be deeper than 4.5' assuming the slopes start early (close to the wall) like ours does. It is absolutely a personal preference, but I like our 3.5 to 5' side better than the 4 to 5' side. I don't believe you have gunite yet so definitely reconfirm your preference on water depth based on how you plan to use the pool.

Also, what materials are you going with (coping, tile, pool finish and color, etc)? I don't think I saw that in the thread.

Also if you are going 4' on the side with the steps, did the pool builder recommend adding an extra step? That profile will be over 12" of riser per step without an extra step. Most pools are 10-12" from what I understand.

Very good points Brian. Yes the will be extra steps due to depth. I will talk with my wife an PB about overall depth. As far as material we are doing flagstone coping and exposed aggregate deck. There will be steps leading to pool from the house which will also be exposed aggregate and flagstone caps at end. Have not decided on how dark we want the pool water but I'm thinking Tahoe blue will be safe. Don't want the water to look black at night but more importantly we do not like any green tone to the water.

Very good points Brian. Yes the will be extra steps due to depth. I will talk with my wife an PB about overall depth. As far as material we are doing flagstone coping and exposed aggregate deck. There will be steps leading to pool from the house which will also be exposed aggregate and flagstone caps at end. Have not decided on how dark we want the pool water but I'm thinking Tahoe blue will be safe. Don't want the water to look black at night but more importantly we do not like any green tone to the water.

Sounds very nice. After looking again, the original design show a depth profile, but it's not clear if it's to scale and what the measurements are. Definitely worth a check before gunite. It's hard(er) to change anything after the shoot. You will be set with the steps. Ours are 12" and are ok. Less steep would be better.

LOVE IT! Now comes your own set of links! It is a LOT of into so take it slow. It will all start to make sense when you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also when I ask you what test kit your PB is providing. See if you can find out and let us know so we can fill in any holes it might have.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.