Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened pool; 2 Jets working, one is not.

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened pool; 2 Jets working, one is not.

Hi Everyone,

I opened the pool today and I have an issue with one of my jets.

The pool is a 13,000 gallon, in-ground, concrete with DE cartridge filter. I have 3 total jets and one is not working.

Here is what I have done so far:

Checked all valves
    Worked the skimmer valve back and forth
    Capped the working jets to build pressure
    Used a drain king in both the skimmer and at the pump

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    13,000 Gallon, In-ground, concrete, DE Filter, Mid-Atlantic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened pool; 2 Jets working, one is not.

Are all 3 jets on separate runs? If so, do you have a valve to select only that run?
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to avoid any possible confusion I'm assuming you are referring to standard returns in a pool, and not jets as typically used when referencing a spa that blows air + water, correct?

Is it the furthest return from the pump? have you tried probing up the return?

All I can think of is that trash has collected at the end of the line, and took the last exit at the end of the road.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be sure... this return has worked in the past? I'm only asking because if it's below the skimmer, it's an equalizer port and not a return.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sseaman View Post
    Are all 3 jets on separate runs? If so, do you have a valve to select only that run?
    There is only one valve that returns to the pool. I have looked everywhere for the possibility of another valve, but there is only the one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the returns, not a jet as in a spa. It is on the opposite side of the pool from the pump, but so is the other working return on that side. I placed the drain king in the return and it blew right off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Just to be sure... this return has worked in the past? I'm only asking because if it's below the skimmer, it's an equalizer port and not a return.
    I'm pretty sure, but now that you say it, I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it. It is closest to the skimmer, but not right under it. The company that closed the pool left three eyeballs in the skimmer basket. The return (or equalizer port) in question was capped. Air came out when I remove the cap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foobert View Post
    Just to avoid any possible confusion I'm assuming you are referring to standard returns in a pool, and not jets as typically used when referencing a spa that blows air + water, correct?

Is it the furthest return from the pump? have you tried probing up the return?

All I can think of is that trash has collected at the end of the line, and took the last exit at the end of the road.
    Yes, the returns, not a jet as in a spa. It is on the opposite side of the pool from the pump, but so is the other working return on that side. I placed the drain king in the return and it blew right off.
    13,000 Gallon, In-ground, concrete, DE Filter, Mid-Atlantic