Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run pool after adding calcium?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run pool after adding calcium?

I just added calcium. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything easy on how long to run the pool afterwards. Thank you!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run pool after adding calcium?

I'd run it all day.. 24 hours even. I like to be sure and with calcium and salt I think a day is a good rule of thumb.

I just drove thru your town today... you should have hollered, I'd have honked and waved! LOL

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! Next time you honk first! Lol!!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I mix it in a bucket and pour into the skimmer with the pump on. I leave the pump on for about an hour but I guess just long enough the get it through the system and out into the pool would work. Mixing in a bucket is exothermic, the water calcium / chloride mix gets warm.

The pool chemical page doesn't give a TFP preferred method of adding? Maybe someone could edit that.

Opps, cancel that, the offical method is:
    Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.
    I still prefer mixing in a bucket and tipping slowly down the skimmer, is there anything wrong with that?
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't add it through the skimmer.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I wouldn't add it through the skimmer.
    Will a high concentration calcium solution react with anything as it goes through the system? I suspect there is a high potential for calcification within the SWG.

Would mixing in a bucket and pouring in the deep end or into a return stream the same as acid work?
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

7. Back To Top    #7

It will heat up significantly as soon as it makes contact with water which isn't good for pool equipment or a bucket. We recommend broadcasting it across the deep end of the pool. More here about adding chems to the pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach