How long to run pool after adding calcium?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
I just added calcium. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything easy on how long to run the pool afterwards. Thank you!

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I'd run it all day.. 24 hours even. I like to be sure and with calcium and salt I think a day is a good rule of thumb.

I just drove thru your town today... you should have hollered, I'd have honked and waved! LOL

Maddie :flower:

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
I mix it in a bucket and pour into the skimmer with the pump on. I leave the pump on for about an hour but I guess just long enough the get it through the system and out into the pool would work. Mixing in a bucket is exothermic, the water calcium / chloride mix gets warm.

The pool chemical page doesn't give a TFP preferred method of adding? Maybe someone could edit that.:wink:

Opps, cancel that, the offical method is:
Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.
I still prefer mixing in a bucket and tipping slowly down the skimmer, is there anything wrong with that?

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
I wouldn't add it through the skimmer.
Will a high concentration calcium solution react with anything as it goes through the system? I suspect there is a high potential for calcification within the SWG.

Would mixing in a bucket and pouring in the deep end or into a return stream the same as acid work?

Other Threads of Interest