Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Handling Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Handling Question

New here. Hi all. I'm setting up a new pool this weekend. It's about 5x the water of my previous little Intex.

My biggest fear is dealing with neutralizing the borax. I'm going to need about two gallons of acid.

I have a facemask and respirator rated for it, and gloves as well.

I'm just wondering how fast I can or should pour it in? Should I dump a gallon or two in, or slowly a cup or two at a time?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid Handling Question

Pour acid slowly and be upwind.

- - - Updated - - -

And welcome to TFP!
    Last edited by Analogbytes; 05-06-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Double post
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Taema View Post
    New here. Hi all. I'm setting up a new pool this weekend. It's about 5x the water of my previous little Intex.

My biggest fear is dealing with neutralizing the borax. I'm going to need about two gallons of acid.

I'm just wondering how fast I can or should pour it in? Should I dump a gallon or two in, or slowly a cup or two at a time?

Thanks,
    Ed
    MA mixes fairly quickly. I would think you can measure within 15 minutes of your addition. Of course, make sure your pump is running. You sound like you are taking good protection measures.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Taema View Post

Thanks,
    Ed
    You should absolutely NOT wear the face mask or respirator. Unless the SCBA gear was specifically fitted for your face and you are clean shaven, you could experience leaks and then the acid vapor can cause unintended problems. We had a pool owner here two summers ago that wore improper PPE's while pouring acid where he cut off the vapor response of his nose but his eyes were still exposed. Because he had no smell/recoil reflex, his eyes were exposed to vapors. This caused corneal burns.

While MA acid vapor can make your nose tingle and give you a good cough, they are way less dangerous than you are making them out to be. The odor threshold for MA is very, very low compared to the health and safety exposure limits. This means that you smell MA vapors well before they can cause any kind of physical harm.

The most you should wear is eye protection to avoid splashes. Otherwise, everything else is overkill.

Also, if you want to add borates without having to use MA, then order boric acid instead of using borax. With boric acid, you don't need any MA.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Pay attention to which way the wind is blowing and stand upwind. My two cents.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    You should absolutely NOT wear the face mask or respirator. Unless the SCBA gear was specifically fitted for your face and you are clean shaven, you could experience leaks and then the acid vapor can cause unintended problems. We had a pool owner here two summers ago that wore improper PPE's while pouring acid where he cut off the vapor response of his nose but his eyes were still exposed. Because he had no smell/recoil reflex, his eyes were exposed to vapors. This caused corneal burns.

While MA acid vapor can make your nose tingle and give you a good cough, they are way less dangerous than you are making them out to be. The odor threshold for MA is very, very low compared to the health and safety exposure limits. This means that you smell MA vapors well before they can cause any kind of physical harm.

The most you should wear is eye protection to avoid splashes. Otherwise, everything else is overkill.

Also, if you want to add borates without having to use MA, then order boric acid instead of using borax. With boric acid, you don't need any MA.
    That is some good info. Previously when I was down wind I don't recall it ever noticable for vision. So would your recommendation be a steady slow pour with just gloves and facemask?

Thanks all for the replies too!

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree about the respirator: don't use it!
    Safety glasses, gloves and staying upwind will work!
    Also you can dilute the acid before pouring, but it will take a little longer to add it! If you decide to dilute the acid, be sure to add the acid to the water and NOT vice versa!!
    And if you get some acid on your skin: don't get too freaked out, but wash it right away with cold water for a few minutes!!
    ~21-25,000 gal, Inground gunite, Pentair DE filter, Pentair pump (one speed), Taylor K2006 (FAS-DPD) test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Safety glasses to help avoid splashing in your eyes.
    Possibly a pair of appropriate gloves.
    If there is any wind, make sure it's blowing from behind you as you're facing the pool.
    Bend down close to the water - maybe even float the jug in the water - and pour in front of a return at a slow to moderate pace.

Don't over think it or "over-protect" for it. If you splash a little on yourself, rinse with water. And do NOT dilute it first - that's just exposing yourself to the vapors twice. In any case, ALWAYS add acid to water - NEVER water to acid.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

9. Back To Top    #9

As others have said, MAs bark is worse than its bite but if you have asthma (a gust can irritate) or are a bit klutzy like me and want to avoid a the pita factor of using a lot of MA when applying borates, here's the link to what I and several other TFPers use instead...no MA required:
    boric | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

As has been said, safety first. Wear old clothes and eye protection.

While acid should be respected, it is nothing to fear. If you get a little on exposed skin, wash it off.

I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

I think if I had to wear a hazmat suit and respirator to maintain my pool, there would not be a pool. I wear a pair of sunglasses because I don't want it splashing in my eyes. But it isn't like the acid will melt you into the pool deck if you get a splash on you. I find it might sting a little (and I mean barely noticeable) and then I dip my arm or hand in the pool (someplace other than I just poured) and it's done.

Pour slowly so it doesn't start to glug out of the bottle. A smooth even stream works the best and get it close to the water. I sometimes pour a whole gallon in at a time in front of a return with pump running. I don't usually need more than that.

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

12. Back To Top    #12

An additional tip. If you want to be able to measure the amount of muriatic acid and not pour it into a measuring cup, use an old gallon jugs and fill it with water. Pour out 16oz of water at time marking the water line with a sharpie each time. When you need to add MA, just line up that bottle with your current MA bottle to see how much you need to pour in.

You can use different amount than 16oz, but I find that to be my best for measuring.
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

How do you know you need the acid? What is your current pH?

Don't add any borax until you know your pH!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    How do you know you need the acid? What is your current pH?
    Don't add any borax until you know your pH!!
    I finished my acid add. It worked out to one 4 pound box of borax to 32 oz MA. So I just went back and forth all day. I used my chemical gloves and a face shield (not a respirator). I ended up with about a gallon of MA and 16 pounds borax. I already got my TA solid with baking soda. So a day later it's looking good. My cake is baking. Too bad it will be a few weeks at least to warm up!

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

What prompted your need to add acid to lower pH and then to add borax to raise pH.....I do not understand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    What prompted your need to add acid to lower pH and then to add borax to raise pH.....I do not understand.
    Sounds like adding borates without ever saying it.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup. I was just getting borate level up. So one box of borax + 32 oz MA oring ph back to 7 ish and borate level up 10 ppm.

18. Back To Top    #18

You would do better with boric acid. No need to handle hydrochloric acid.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yeah it sounds great. But I'm paying 1$/pound for borax and 1$ per box to neutralize it.

20. Back To Top    #20

To get to 50 pm, you need 24 lb per 10,000 gallons.

You can get 8 lbs for about $1.60 per pound and 55 lbs for about $0.95 per pound.

How many gallons is your pool and what increase are you targeting.
    Support the site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast