Acid Handling Question

Yeah it sounds great. But I'm paying 1$/pound for borax and 1$ per box to neutralize it.

That's the numbers I'm working with also for the borax and acid, and boric acid from Duda diesel is still a better deal. It'd be $142w/tax for borax and MA, and $135 for 4lbs more boric acid than I'd need. Both would get to 50ppm and boric acid would cost less and have extra left over. Last year when I did the math borax and acid was a little cheaper. This year boric acid is cheaper. Once it finally gets warm and stays warm I'll probably pull the trigger on this myself.

That's the numbers I'm working with also for the borax and acid, and boric acid from Duda diesel is still a better deal. It'd be $142w/tax for borax and MA, and $135 for 4lbs more boric acid than I'd need. Both would get to 50ppm and boric acid would cost less and have extra left over. Last year when I did the math borax and acid was a little cheaper. This year boric acid is cheaper. Once it finally gets warm and stays warm I'll probably pull the trigger on this myself.

Not to mention the boric acid route is far easier to do with no chance of causing cloudy water. Borax is a strong base and so it raises pH quickly whereas boric acid is a weak acid and only lowers pH slightly. If you start off at a pH of 7.6 or so, you can add the entire dose of boric acid and the pH will only go down to about 7.3 or so.

Not to mention the boric acid route is far easier to do with no chance of causing cloudy water. Borax is a strong base and so it raises pH quickly whereas boric acid is a weak acid and only lowers pH slightly. If you start off at a pH of 7.6 or so, you can add the entire dose of boric acid and the pH will only go down to about 7.3 or so.

This.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would it any other way. Even if it costs a little more, it's totally worth the convenience. :)

What prompted your need to add acid to lower pH and then to add borax to raise pH.....I do not understand.

Sounds like adding borates without ever saying it.

Yes, this was the reason for the initial inquiry.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would it any other way. Even if it costs a little more, it's totally worth the convenience. :)

I think because people are not always aware of the option and benefit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.