Hello from Atlanta GA...and of course I have questions... :)

Apr 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Again, Hello from Atlanta, GA. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I've grown tired of paying the pool guy hundreds of $$$ every fall for chemicals so that I can open my pool in the spring and be happy. The past 3 years I have not been happy...AND THE POOL GUY IS MY WIFES UNCLE!!! But that's beside the point...

I stumbled across this awesome website trying to find an alternative way to maintain the pool. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here and for that
I thank you!!!

Hopefully, I got my signature correct.

I've removed the cover to slightly green (can still see the bottom) tinge. After I got the pump up and running I whipped out my new TF-100 test kit and tried to do the CYA test per the instructions so that I could start the SLAM process.

I can see the dot clear as day with the tube completely filled.
So, how do I "find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level" without that number?

Sincerely, Dave.

P.S. I just did the simple chlorine/PH test and the chlorine is about .5 and the PH is actually 7.8. I've bought just under 12 gallons (evidentially they are 3.78 qt's and not a gallon) of bleach, 4 actual gallons of muriatic acid, and 4 - 13.5 pound bags of baking soda to start this
endeavor.

So do I start by adding a gallon or 2 of bleach to raise the chlorine level?

Thanks for any information.

Well, I'd say try the CYA test a couple of times making sure your back is to the sun, the tube is at waist high level and it helps to actually glance away and back quickly as your eyes are expecting to see that dot so it helps relax them a bit.

Kimkats :kim: has a great little trick where she just squirts the mixed fluid into the measuring tube in the exact increments that get to each mark. So she starts out pouring in to "100" <glance away and back> then pours to "90" <glances away and back> and so on....... till she hits that spot she feels is "it!" Try that.

Don't forget that you can pour the fluid back into the squirt bottle again and again to repeat the test.

Once you feel confident of your number, check out the chart --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

How are your other numbers looking?

Does your wife understand your desire to can her uncle and do it yourself? You are going to save bazillians over the next few years in comparison to paying someone else!! And your water will *sparkle!*

Welcome to TFP....always good to have more Georgians in the house!! :cool:

Maddie :flower:

HI! WOW! You have so much correct right from the get go it is awesome! SWEET! The only thing missing is a pic of the pool!

I will get you started then back you up some. Got to Pool Math (see my siggy below) and find out how much m. acid you will need to add to get your PH down to 7.2 and add it now. Make sure your pump is on. Come back here for the rest of your directions. I will wait for you....................

All done lowering your PH? Good! Now print this out please:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Now read it a couple/few times. Go out and add your first dose of chlorine to get your FC to SLAM level. I would set the CYA at 10 just because there might be some in there.

If you have a chance I would go out and buy some CYA (walmart or Lowes) to start adding it to the pool.

That should keep you busy for a little while :roll: I will check on you in a few. :hug:

Kim:kim:

Dave, you won't need all that baking soda and muriatic acid. I'd take 2 bottles of the MA and 3 bags of the baking soda back for refund. Bleach and some CYA are about all you need now. In fact you may never need the baking soda... not all pools do. (little yay!)

If you need help using PoolMath holler back. Kim :kim: and I can talk you thru it :)

Maddie :flower:

Thanks so much everyone. The SLAM went great. Took longer than I expected but I wasn't able to keep at it every day - all day to maintain the correct shock level (LIFE...know what I mean?). But got there in the end and now I'm just maintaining. I found it's only around a quart a day to do that (bleach) and occassionaly a little MA to keep the PH at 7.5. TA is 120. The pool looks better than I've ever seen it and it's so easy!

kimkats, Here is the requested picture of the pool. Thanks for your help.

YippeeSkippy, you were absolutely correct. Took all the baking soda back to the store. Just MA like you said. Thanks for the guidance.

Thank you everyone - again.

Sincerely, Dave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.