Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Actuator controlled by sprinkler Controller

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Actuator controlled by sprinkler Controller

I would like to automate valve to open and close pressure side cleaner line (Polaris 360 without booster) plumbed from between intelliflo pump and filter with energy filter. I don't need anything fancy and was hoping to use a sprinkler controller (24v output) to control the valve. Zone 1 move to open, Zone 2 move to close since I believe you need to energize which side you want to operate. Only possible problem I foresee is being able to cut power from controller after valve has fully actuated. Am I on to something? can I makethisnew filter.jpg work? Thanks Alex
    18x36 lazy L,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve Actuator controlled by sprinkler Controller

At first I came in to say that will not work, but now I can not think of why

As long as you are supplying 24 VAC, it might work ... and I look forward to seeing your experiment

You are right that you need power to the center wire and one of the side wire to turn 1 direction and then to the other side wire (with the center) to turn the other direction. There is a dip switch in the actuator that cuts the power so the actuator stops turning.

The controller typically is constantly supplying power as there is not feedback for it to know when to stop.
    So actually your controller idea could stop supplying power altogether as long as you left it on long enough to turn the valve (which is less than a minute)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason,
    Thanks for the reply. As I look at schematic and since I'm not using a relay for valve and just to make surevalve schematic.jpg I have this right the Black wire is the common wire and the red and white are fed the 24volts respectively from controller?
    18x36 lazy L,

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use an Irrigation controller with your actuator, but you must use two zones from your controller each connected to one of the red or white wires in the actuator. Dont forget to also connect the ground wire from the controller to the actuator black wire. Just be sure that the controller does not turn on both zones at the same time.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Gary, thanks , that's exactly what I wanted to do.

18x36 lazy L,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

To add another layer of security against applying voltages in both directions at the same time, run the "zone" just long enough to rotate the valve. IOW, if you were running the cleaner from 12:00 to 2pm set zone 1 (on) to run from 12:00 to 12:01. Then set zone 2 (off) to run from 2:00 to 2:01.

- - - Updated - - -

You also may want to confirm that the amperage rating on the sprinkler control xofrmer can tolerate the amperage draw of the actuator(s).
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I dont get how long the power is to be applied. Will that provide adequete control to open the valve the right amount?

8. Back To Top    #8

For most actual pool automation systems, the power is on constantly to one leg or the other. There is a cam switch within the actuator that stops the rotation.

In this application, the power just needs to be on long enough to rotate until the cam switch stops it. Then power is no longer needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Is the cam switch basically a limit switch? Guess the switch cuts power to that leg?

10. Back To Top    #10

It just cuts power to the motor that is turning the valve. The power is still available at the wire.
    Jason, TFP Moderator