Valve Actuator controlled by sprinkler Controller

av8042

Mar 31, 2017
Middle Island/ NY
I would like to automate valve to open and close pressure side cleaner line (Polaris 360 without booster) plumbed from between intelliflo pump and filter with energy filter. I don't need anything fancy and was hoping to use a sprinkler controller (24v output) to control the valve. Zone 1 move to open, Zone 2 move to close since I believe you need to energize which side you want to operate. Only possible problem I foresee is being able to cut power from controller after valve has fully actuated. Am I on to something? can I makethisnew filter.jpg work? Thanks Alex

At first I came in to say that will not work, but now I can not think of why :D

As long as you are supplying 24 VAC, it might work ... and I look forward to seeing your experiment :p

You are right that you need power to the center wire and one of the side wire to turn 1 direction and then to the other side wire (with the center) to turn the other direction. There is a dip switch in the actuator that cuts the power so the actuator stops turning.

The controller typically is constantly supplying power as there is not feedback for it to know when to stop.
So actually your controller idea could stop supplying power altogether as long as you left it on long enough to turn the valve (which is less than a minute)

You can use an Irrigation controller with your actuator, but you must use two zones from your controller each connected to one of the red or white wires in the actuator. Dont forget to also connect the ground wire from the controller to the actuator black wire. Just be sure that the controller does not turn on both zones at the same time.

To add another layer of security against applying voltages in both directions at the same time, run the "zone" just long enough to rotate the valve. IOW, if you were running the cleaner from 12:00 to 2pm set zone 1 (on) to run from 12:00 to 12:01. Then set zone 2 (off) to run from 2:00 to 2:01.

- - - Updated - - -

You also may want to confirm that the amperage rating on the sprinkler control xofrmer can tolerate the amperage draw of the actuator(s).

For most actual pool automation systems, the power is on constantly to one leg or the other. There is a cam switch within the actuator that stops the rotation.

In this application, the power just needs to be on long enough to rotate until the cam switch stops it. Then power is no longer needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.