Clear Comfort - Chlorine Free System

3monkeys

Gold Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
NW Arkansas
Even as a newbie I fully recognize the thin ice I'm treading on with this post - so please don't shoot me!!

As we're finalizing the last pieces of our upcoming build I thought we were all set on an IC60. However, a couple of acquaintances in our area just finished building pools and used the Clear Comfort system. So, I spoke to clear comfort and they claim you can go chlorine-free by creating hydroxyl radicals. I don't even know what that means or if that's even true.

I also read an earlier post that asked about an EPA registration number. They told me "All of our systems are registered devices to Section 7 of the FIFRA Act through the EPA." Again, I'm not exactly sure what that means either. I read the EPA site but was just confused. (it doesn't take much for me to be confused)

I like to idea of using the least amount of chemicals as possible but I like the idea of keeping everyone safe and healthy way more! :) We have three boys and will have several boys swimming in the pool most of the time. So, sanitation is a top-priority as who knows what will be in there with all of those boys!

Finally, as new pool owner and having never owned one before, I understand you have to have some sort of residual sanitizer in the pool for when dirty boys jump in and do whatever they do. Allegedly, this system takes care of this by the hydroxyl radicals and the need for chlorine is eliminated.

Side note: I looked at UV and after reading all of their fine print you still have to use chlorine. So, that seemed like an absolute waste of money to me which is why we settled on salt.

Sorry for the long post to ask a simple question - Is this system for real or is it just marketing hype?

Reactions: VegasOas-us
You mention that you are new to pools and as such don't really have that much knowledge on it yet. That is what these companies prey on. First, they convince you that chlorine is dangerous and bad. Judging by your comment on minimizing chemicals they have had some success. Next, they throw a bunch of words and phrases that you don't understand but sound good. Looks like we hit that. And that is how they get you to consider their produce over a much cheaper and safer option.

Don't think I'm calling you dumb, only inexperienced as we all were at one time. But this is just another metal introducing system that will kill algae does not provide adequate sanitation for your pool. It doesn't matter what registration they might have with the EPA, if it does not use Chlorine, Bromine, or Biguanide then it is not a pool sanitation system.

You can read those two posts that Maddie put up.

The short answer is this - don't bother with these "alternative" systems, they are utterly useless. Also, their claim that their system complies with the FIFRA Act is a total red-herring - they are simply stating that their "device" is registered with the EPA because it is used as a "sanitizer" for "pest" control (in this case, the "pest" is fungi, bacteria and viri)...but FIFRA does not apply to POOLS, that's a completely different section of the EPA code. The EPA only regulates commercial/public pools and only regulates chemical sanitizers for commercial/public pools. So, if a company wants to market a chemical product as a "sanitizer" for pools, then it has to pass certain requirements for being sanitizer, i.e., maintain a residual level in water, have the appropriate kill or inactivation times, etc, etc. So far the EPA only recognizes chlorine, bromine and biguanides (Baquacil) as sanitizers for pools. The FTC controls product labelling and, if Clear Comfort markets their system as providing sanitary control for pools (which I highly doubt they do), then they would be breaking federal law....I'm sure if you scour their website for the legalese fine print, you'll see somewhere that they say you need to use a registered pool sanitizer (i.e., chlorine) from time-to-time.

Stick with your planned IC-60 installation and your salt water pool and you'll be happy. Just follow the advice here and don't listen to all the junk science out there intended to pick your pocket. The fact is, the pool equipment and chemical industry is very negligent in ignoring sound science in favor of picking people's pockets...I liken it to the cigarette industry which hid the dangers of smoking, nicotine and cancer for decades in order to chase profits...in the same way, the pool chemical industry ignores the science behind stabilizer (CYA) and chlorine in order to sell people products that just cause more problems than they fix.

Reactions: RubiconValley
Thanks so much for the information! I suspected as much especially after reading a contradictory statement somewhere on their website that said "reduced chlorine use" instead on zero chlorine. Google is a very dangerous place for me but it got me here. :D

That's one more thing checked off the list of final decisions. Now I only need to finalize the other 50! Really need to start digging so I can quit worrying about every little detail.

Do you have any interest in buying a bridge that I own in Brooklyn??? :p

I suggest that you go with your original Saltwater pool. When it is finished, you can have your acquaintances over for a swim.

When they ask why your water feels so much softer than theirs, and why your pool is so clear compared to theirs, and why their eyes don't sting when they swim in your pool, you can proudly say... "Because I don't believe in magic..."

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.