Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD test

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD test

Forgive me if this info is in Pool School, but I haven't been able to find it.

When I'm testing the chlorine levels, do I use a level tiny spponful, a heaping one, or something in between. I've been using a level spoonful.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-DPD test

All of the above. You want enough to cause a definite pink color. The exact amount is not really THAT critical. I start with a slightly rounded spoon and if i don't get a pink color i add another. If I KNOW my chlorine is very high because i am shocking the pool then I start with a heaping spoon.

3. Back To Top    #3

A heaping one. Just make sure you don't use the paddle side. Use the bowl side or you will be wasting it.
    18x33 AGP, BAQUAPURE 200 lb sandfilter, 2 1/2hp Workhorse pump (2 speed)

4. Back To Top    #4

If I put a level scoop in, I get a bright pink color.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by SMWill42
    A heaping one. Just make sure you don't use the paddle side. Use the bowl side or you will be wasting it.
    "splain that please Its flat, no bowl to it. One side is really flat, other side has curved sides. Which side do you use.????
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

6. Back To Top    #6

The little curved end, it's a tiny scoop. The flat paddle side is the handle.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

OMG I just went and looked at my scooper. No wonder I ran out of the DPD. I was scooping with the other end
    Just another rookie mistake. And the bad thing is, I ordered 2 of the DPD
    Hurry Dave
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

8. Back To Top    #8

I did that too at first. I don't think it's uncommon to make that mistake....

Waterbear posted something about vacume sealing the DPD powder to save it for later. Any chance you can do something like that?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I did that too at first. I don't think it's uncommon to make that mistake....

Waterbear posted something about vacume sealing the DPD powder to save it for later. Any chance you can do something like that?
    The FoodSaver is one of the BEST appliances I have ever bought! I keep finding new uses for it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks guys. That makes me feel a little better. I felt so much like and idiot. Good idea about the food saver.
    Lynn

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Deb04
    Forgive me if this info is in Pool School, but I haven't been able to find it.

When I'm testing the chlorine levels, do I use a level tiny spponful, a heaping one, or something in between. I've been using a level spoonful.
    As waterbear points out, the amount is not critical as long as you use enough. It is an odd property of that powder that you can't use too much of it. Too little, however, will cause inconsistent results.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

12. Back To Top    #12

Well I can assure you, I used enough
    Lynn