Pool Filter (Pentair 60) Pressure Drop

Jun 19, 2011
My filter pump (Challenger) is three years old; replaced a unit that lasted for 13 years. The Pentair FNS 60 DE Filter received all new filter elements last year. When I fired up the equipment this year, charging the filter with DE, the pressure read 10 PSI. This is what it ALWAYS reads in my system when the filter elements are clean and freshly charged with DE. Also germane to this thread: the pressure gauge on the top of the filter was replaced about three years ago as well.

Since I opened the pool very early this year for a pool inspection in connection with the sale of the house (Pool passed pool inspection OK), I caught the pool water in essentially the same state as it was when I closed last fall: clear, algae free, and water just slightly out of balance. I have yet to backwash. But here is the mystery: the filter pressure has been DROPPING. It now sits at about 6 PSI. Clearing skimmer, filter basket of all the expected Spring debris doesn't change this reading.

I can only think of a couple of things that would explain this: bad pressure gauge or failing pool pump. Are there any others, or ways to check?

Could be debris stuck in the pump impeller, or more likely is a bad gauge ... often they are only good for a couple years if they are the cheap ones. Highly recommend the glycerin-filled ones like tftestkits.net sells.

C,

The key here is the feel of the return flow back to your pool.. If the water returning to your pool has a good solid flow,like you normally have, then I would have to agree with Jason that the gauge is the most likely culprit.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Sorry for delayed response. I felt what I thought was good pressure from the returns, although I'm not an expert as I rarely use the pool, just maintain it for wife and grandkids. I did order a new gauge, and will install tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.