Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algaei behind Pool Light Niche

1. Back To Top    #1

algaei behind Pool Light Niche

So on Monday, 5/1 I have someone coming over to replace my pool light. I know that algae lurks behind it, I haven't done my slam yet. My question is:

Can I drop the pool light out of the niche and leave it out while I SLAM? Do you think I will have enough time to complete the SLAM?

Or should I just brush out the niche when they drop the light kit out to replace it and SLAM when its all put back together?

A side question if anyone wants to chime in, How do I clean out my side pool ladder tubes to make sure none of that pesky algae from last year is lurking in them.

Thanks to all who respond in advance.
    Vinyl 18' X 37' IGP 3'/8' deep
    27,400 gallons
    Hayward DE 4800 filter
    Full Sun NO SHADE
    Taylor 2006 test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algaei behind Pool Light Niche

Can I drop the pool light out of the niche and leave it out while I SLAM? Or should I just brush out the niche when they drop the light kit out to replace it and SLAM when its all put back together?
    Either really. Some folks have been known to leave the light out and sit it up on the decking for a few days (turn-off the light breaker). That's what I would do if I could. However, others might clean it out really well then reassemble. I suspect you could do whichever way works best for you based on the maintenance you're having done on the light. Simply getting back there at all is a huge deal and should help quite a bit.

As for the ladder, it may depend on the brand and how accessible the parts are - side rails and each step/rung. Some can be disassembled, others may have to be poked and cleaned with a tool that can get in those tight spots. Some folks may try to disassemble it and soak in a stronger bleach formula somewhere else (kiddie pool). Perhaps some other creative replies will come in.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: algaei behind Pool Light Niche

I can leave the light out. The entire assembly and wiring are being replaced, the seals are bad, 18 yr old light kit. It fogs up and water gets in and trips the GFI so out it goes.
    The ladder is the four step over the side kind with chrome/stainless tubes and a rubber plug for feet that rest against the side wall of the pool. I replaced the steps 4 yrs ago because of the caked algae under them but neglected to consider the inside of the tube. Maybe I can pour the bleach into the tubes and plug them up with the feet and let is soak/sit for a few days. All responses welcome
    Vinyl 18' X 37' IGP 3'/8' deep
    27,400 gallons
    Hayward DE 4800 filter
    Full Sun NO SHADE
    Taylor 2006 test Kit