Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening disappointment

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Opening disappointment

I must say that I am very disappointed. The issue, I feel very sorry for those who have to open to a swamp and spend weeks and crazy money to get things cleaned up!

Not me though. I spent a couple hours the last 2 nights opening my pool. Last night I pumped water off the cover while I added water under the cover to bring the level up to full. Tonight was the big reveal. I pulled the cover back only to find, some very beautiful and clear water. Just some minimal crud to vacuum. The wind was blowing just enough to give it that TFP sparkle.

Lets just say that I was very impressed with the results of a TFP closing. I don't think it could have been any easier.

Testing results were pretty good for going 6 months with no attention.

At opening:
    FC = 1.5
    CC = 0.5
    pH = 7.8
    TA = 150
    CH = 200
    CYA = 40

I added bleach to get and tested at 7ppm for now, 9PM after dark. Will check again early in the morning to check the losses.

I'll work on the pH and TA as the water warms up.

My hand about a foot deep

Example of the crud, not too shabby...

My helper that has been asking every day for a week, "when are we going to take the cover off" or "can we take the cover off now"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening disappointment

That is how ALL openings should be!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats.. Yeah. I will take more care in closing my pool this year. A month and a half and still not clear.. But you can tell when something is at the bottom at least.. Getting there just real slow.

May/2018 AGP Coleman 24x52 vinyl, 13.6k gallons, Harris H1572228 Vortex 16 inch Above Ground Sand Filter System with 3/4 HP Pump, PoolBlaster Max, TF-100

Run pump 24/7

4. Back To Top    #4

Beautiful. I have a question for the group- is there a rule of thumb on when one should open based on your weather, particularly unseasonably hot weather?

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The goal is to get going before the water temperature gets to 60F. I always open when it gets in the 50s to be safe. You can average the daily highs/lows to get a loose estimate of the water temp as well.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep. As Mr Bruce says, your pool tells you when to close and open. Close AFTER the temp is regularly below 60 degrees. Open BEFORE the temperature is regularly above 60 degrees.

***clickbait intro warning***

This one simple rule has more effect on opening conditions than anything else.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Yeah, about that.... Couldn't help it, but I lead with the punchline.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Yep. As Mr Bruce says, your pool tells you when to close and open. Close AFTER the temp is regularly below 60 degrees. Open BEFORE the temperature is regularly above 60 degrees.

This one simple rule has more effect on opening conditions than anything else.
    Thanks, since I've moved to Arkansas I've never opened a clear pool. I think I keep wanting to wait later and later and when you have unseasonably warm weather and want to open around May 1st or later not good. That and a liner with holes.

Good work original poster!

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

9. Back To Top    #9

I sure wish I could of opened my pool and it looked like yours...LOL....I'm one of those swamp people.

Pool looks really good, nice job!!!
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Thanks all!

I tested FC and it held overnight @ 7ppm and CC = 0 now. I pulled the sample just as the sun was starting to cast a shadow.

I couldn't be happier with the TFP method.

I'm not 100% done but it looks like it's just some fine-tuning from here. And some more attention with the vacuum & brush.