Pentair IntelliCenter

Remember I am a noob to this soo... Ok so trying to do some basic programming. There are currently 2 modes: pool and spa. I have a schedule (spillover) where pool mode runs the pump at 2400rpm 6a-5p. Spa mode is on demand. I want to make the pump run in a bottom cleaning mode with increased speed to say 2800rpm from 6a-9a, then go to spillover mode where it will run that from 9a-5p. How do I make the pump run the higher speed only during that morning period, then go to spillover mode after? It seems I can only have the pump running a certain speed in each mode: pool and spa....

sans,

Assuming that the programming is close to being the same between the EasyTouch and the IntelliCenter, look at the following pump set up screen...

dbtgallery.php

While the pump is running the pool mode at 1250 RPM if I turn on circuit Skim Low the pump will speed up to 1500... If I select Skim high the speed will increase to 2000.

You can only have one speed per circuit, but you can have a number of circuits on at the same time. Here is a screenshot of an old circuits set up page just to give you an idea how it works..

dbtgallery.php

In my case I renamed Feature circuit 1 as Skim Low and Feature Circuit High as Skim High..

You can also see how when I select Waterfall, the water fall comes on and the pump increase speed to 2800...

Let me know if this does not make sense and I'll try again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sans,

I did not think of this until just now...

With the old Easytouch, you can program using the little 3' display or you can use ScreenLogic... Using ScreenLogic means you can program from your PC and unlike using the 3" display, you can visually see how Circuits, Circuit Names, and Circuit Functions all work together to program the ET to do what you want.

Just from my personal experience, after have programmed using the ET, and ScreenLogic, I can tell you that ScreenLogic is 10 x easier to do and to understand. It almost makes it fun.

So my question to you is... Are you trying to program from the display on the IntelliCenter, or are you programming through whatever program is replacing ScreenLogic. I am assuming you can program via a PC, if you can, then I recommend you do it that way first, as it "almost" makes sense without have to read the manual.

Looking forward to your review of the IntelliCenter.

Feel free to PM me, if you don't want to clutter up this thread.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Regarding the transformer... When I installed the transformer and tested the output when 120vac was applied to the high voltage side, I misunderstood the output diagram and made test lead connections from each of the output leads to the common bar. My mistake was not realizing that the voltage potential exists not from each of the low voltage output leads to common (or ground) but to each other. Therefore when I measured the output voltage between the two black output leads (instead of each to common or ground), there was the 12vac! It had been there all along. My test method was incorrect. The neutral wire from the transformer was correctly connected to the common bus bar. However, the common of the 3 wire line from each of the lights were NOT to be connected to the common bus, but rather to one of the two (black) low voltage output leads from the transformer (the ground conductor from the pool lights wiring IS connected to the ground bar in the LC). :hammer:

Cool, really happy to hear that you found it.. Like I alluded to, it had to be something simple that might of been overlooked and had us scratching our heads. You had a lot of things going on over this last weekend, and if you're like me when taking on this kind of project, you have a lot of things floating around upstairs, and overlook something simple that ends up soaking up a lot of time troubleshooting.

Remember I am a noob to this soo... Ok so trying to do some basic programming. There are currently 2 modes: pool and spa. I have a schedule (spillover) where pool mode runs the pump at 2400rpm 6a-5p. Spa mode is on demand. I want to make the pump run in a bottom cleaning mode with increased speed to say 2800rpm from 6a-9a, then go to spillover mode where it will run that from 9a-5p. How do I make the pump run the higher speed only during that morning period, then go to spillover mode after? It seems I can only have the pump running a certain speed in each mode: pool and spa....

Hi Sanspeur

Agree with Jim R., always easier to program through a desktop client or in this case, the IntelliCenter “PC Web-Interface” app.

First you have to create a “Feature Circuit” for each particular pump speed that you want to take advantage of and for each valve actuator. And then you name those feature circuits to your liking using either the provided feature circuit naming conventions or you can also customize a circuit feature name if you prefer. You can have up to 32 of these feature circuits.
Examples -

Pump Low (2400 rpm)
Pump High (2800 rpm)
Pool (pool/spa diverter valve actuator set in “home” position for normal pool cleaning function)
Spillway (pool/spa diverter valve actuator set at position “X (2-24)” for your particular spa spillover position)

(You can also create feature circuit “groups”)

Next, you have to assign those feature circuits that you have created to a “Weekly Program” (up to 100). This will allow you to schedule a circuit or group of circuits to turn on or off at specific times.

Hence, based on your requirement that you indicated, something like this –

You can have your pump come on at 2800 rpm 6:00 - 8:59 using the “Pump High” and “Pool” feature circuits.
You can then have your pump come on at 2400 rpm from 9:00 – 5:00 using the “Pump Low” and “Spillover” feature circuits.

To assign a feature circuit: login to the web app. Click in the upper RH corner (the 3 horizontal line icon) and click Settings > System Configuration > Circuits > (Feature Circuits and Circuit Groups). Click “Add Feature Circuit”.

Then configure “show as Feature (Yes/No)”, Assign a Circuit Name, Assign a Circuit Type (Generic or Spillway), Choose “Show as Feature” Other items to configure if applicable are Freeze Protection, Egg Timer, etc.

Example:
2018-09-24_22-44-29.jpg

To setup a schedule: Click Settings > Schedules. Here is where you can add and configure your daily/weekly schedules.

Example:
2018-09-24_23-01-16.jpg

Note: You can perform most of your configurations to include pumps, advanced settings, circuits, chemistry control, other equipment, any applicable remotes, security, notifications, personal info, location (good for seeing current & forecast weather), etc. from the IntelliCenter PC Web-Interface app!

Have fun!!
r.

Side Note - unless your water has exceptionally low alkalinity, running a spillover 8 hours per day is going to add a lot of aeration to your pool water and drive the pH up constantly. I have an attached spa with a spillover and I run it for 45mins per day at the end of the day. I also run the spa midday for 30mins to flush water through the pipes. But that’s it as constant aeration is not helpful in keeping the pH down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Side Note - unless your water has exceptionally low alkalinity, running a spillover 8 hours per day is going to add a lot of aeration to your pool water and drive the pH up constantly. I have an attached spa with a spillover and I run it for 45mins per day at the end of the day. I also run the spa midday for 30mins to flush water through the pipes. But that’s it as constant aeration is not helpful in keeping the pH down.

How do you have that programmed? You can align the valves in 3 different ranges? I have only a single T valve to either the pool or spa...and have only 2 set-points for the intellivalve so how can I have spa-only, pool only (no spillover), and a spillover setting?

When you don’t have a separate spa fill return line on the pool side of the plumbing, you use the spa jets.

Pool Only : pump suction to pool lines (skimmer & main drain) and return path set to 100% pool

Spa Only : pump suction to spa drains and return path set to 100% spa jets

Spillover : pump suction set to pool lines and return path set to 100% spa jets.

In Pentair-speak, the circuit function called “SPILLWAY” automatically is designed to adjust the suction and return valves to create a spillover effect. That circuit function also allows the SWG to run as well as the heater. If you were try use a “GENERIC” circuit feature to operate the valves, then the SWG and heater would not work.

When you don’t have a separate spa fill return line on the pool side of the plumbing, you use the spa jets.

Pool Only : pump suction to pool lines (skimmer & main drain) and return path set to 100% pool

Spa Only : pump suction to spa drains and return path set to 100% spa jets

Spillover : pump suction set to pool lines and return path set to 100% spa jets.

In Pentair-speak, the circuit function called “SPILLWAY” automatically is designed to adjust the suction and return valves to create a spillover effect. That circuit function also allows the SWG to run as well as the heater. If you were try use a “GENERIC” circuit feature to operate the valves, then the SWG and heater would not work.

Cool, thanks for the explanation! I am going to have to work on the programming then as well as change my mind-set that it is good to have the spillover most of the day. Been a hectic past week so hopefully can get working this in the next week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Sanspeur

Agree with Jim R., always easier to program through a desktop client or in this case, the IntelliCenter “PC Web-Interface” app.

First you have to create a “Feature Circuit” for each particular pump speed that you want to take advantage of and for each valve actuator. And then you name those feature circuits to your liking using either the provided feature circuit naming conventions or you can also customize a circuit feature name if you prefer. You can have up to 32 of these feature circuits.
Examples -

Pump Low (2400 rpm)
Pump High (2800 rpm)
Pool (pool/spa diverter valve actuator set in “home” position for normal pool cleaning function)
Spillway (pool/spa diverter valve actuator set at position “X (2-24)” for your particular spa spillover position)

(You can also create feature circuit “groups”)

Next, you have to assign those feature circuits that you have created to a “Weekly Program” (up to 100). This will allow you to schedule a circuit or group of circuits to turn on or off at specific times.

Hence, based on your requirement that you indicated, something like this –

You can have your pump come on at 2800 rpm 6:00 - 8:59 using the “Pump High” and “Pool” feature circuits.
You can then have your pump come on at 2400 rpm from 9:00 – 5:00 using the “Pump Low” and “Spillover” feature circuits.

To assign a feature circuit: login to the web app. Click in the upper RH corner (the 3 horizontal line icon) and click Settings > System Configuration > Circuits > (Feature Circuits and Circuit Groups). Click “Add Feature Circuit”.

Then configure “show as Feature (Yes/No)”, Assign a Circuit Name, Assign a Circuit Type (Generic or Spillway), Choose “Show as Feature” Other items to configure if applicable are Freeze Protection, Egg Timer, etc.

Example:
View attachment 86928

To setup a schedule: Click Settings > Schedules. Here is where you can add and configure your daily/weekly schedules.

Example:
View attachment 86929

Note: You can perform most of your configurations to include pumps, advanced settings, circuits, chemistry control, other equipment, any applicable remotes, security, notifications, personal info, location (good for seeing current & forecast weather), etc. from the IntelliCenter PC Web-Interface app!

Have fun!!
r.

MyAZPool, thanks for providing the visuals and steps to get those programmed. Will try to work on this this week and next and get it set-up properly.

Does anyone know if you can use the ethernet port to connect directly to a wired switch? All the pentair docs seem to indicate that is only for connecting to the wireless antenna.

I agree that there is not much in the documentation to indicate that. I called Pentair tech support about a month ago and asked that very question. The tech support rep told me that yes, if you connect a cat-5 cable from the ethernet connector on the board to a router, that that would provide connectivity and that you would not require the wireless device.

When the upgrade kits come out in March, I am expecting to do just that, as I have layed in a conduit from the house to the equipment pad.

Keep in mind that max distance for Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6 or Cat 6a is 328 feet (100 meters). Anything more and you would need to connect a switch in between the IntelliCenter and your router.

Thanks MyAZPool,

I am going to run some cat6 from my garage switch to the equipment and give it a try. If it doesn't work my wireless signal reaches the equipment location so I should still be good. My build is starting at the end of the month so if anyone else gets a chance to try this before then, please let us know. I do have a support question out to Pentair tech support but have not heard back yet.

Thanks MyAZPool,

I am going to run some cat6 from my garage switch to the equipment and give it a try. If it doesn't work my wireless signal reaches the equipment location so I should still be good. My build is starting at the end of the month so if anyone else gets a chance to try this before then, please let us know. I do have a support question out to Pentair tech support but have not heard back yet.

mrweber..

Congrats and good luck on the new build. Please keep us present and future IntelliCenter users updated on the IC install and configuration.

I have not had good luck hearing back from Pentair while leaving web-based emails. Not sure if others have experienced the same. Please share if you DO hear back from them. However, I have had good luck when calling tech support and asking questions.

I have found these two small blurbs from documentation that DOES somewhat indicate that connecting a cat5/6 to the IntelliCenter LAN port will work. They just don't specifically say so. Maybe because they want to sell more Wireless Client Bridge Antenna's/Power Modules or their technical writers just didn't take the time to specifically say so. Not sure.

from pp 42, IntelliCenter Install Guide

2018-10-10_12-50-08.jpg

From pp 92, IntelliCenter Users Guide

2018-10-10_12-54-20.jpg

Quick update,

Both MyAZPool and myself have had Pentair reps confirm that a direct network connection will work with the IntelliCenter. I have mine installed and connected but not powered up yet since we are just starting the decking phase of the build. Will let you know once I can actually verify myself that network connectivity is working.

Thanks,
Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.