Pentair pump keeps shutting off with drain error, even though the baskets are clear

The filter was sooooo nasty!
I will never pay someone again to do something that I do not see/ or check that it is done!
Twice he got me! No way that he had done it because it had some pieces of the pebble sheen in there from the construction of the pool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julz,

Do you have ScreenLogic as part of your EasyTouch system? This allows you to use your PC, tablet, or phone to "talk" to the ET. If so, it will make it very easy for us to tell you want to look for.

Yes, my guess is you pump it running pretty close to full speed..

Jim R.

Follow up...
After 24-48 hrs of cleaning
The filter, it is running at 30 psi (at highest speed for the cleaner/ vacuum). Which is down from 35,
After cleaning filter a few days ago. Could it be that bad that it needs cleaning again now?
I didn't soak the cartridges, just hosed them off well. Of course, I didn't get every grain of dirt out...
But it wasn't green- just looked like dirt. It has some cotton remnants from trees, but I sprayed them off.
The pool has not been cloudy, it looks very nice.
Checked chlorine levels with my plain pentair tester (haven't gotten the good fancy one yet), and the chl was on low side, but still noticeable on the scale and ph was decent as well.

Should I spray the cartridges off again?

Julz,

Yes, I know it is a pain, but it will be good for two reasons.

1. After you clean the cartridges, you can determine what your "clean" pressure is. I recommend you do this between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM.

2. Also you can see of the cartridges are really dirty or not. If dirty, then you will know the filter is doing its job. If still clean then you will know that the high pressure is probably more about your pump speed, and plumbing, than the filter being dirty.

It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes a cartridge.. I put the cartridge on top of an upside down five gallon bucket. I hose them off top to bottom until the water coming out at the bottom is clear. It usually take me a couple of passes.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So...
After cleaning a second time...
(they were dirty; not as dirty as before of course, but little cotton fuzz and small little twigs as well as leaf shreds.)
Putting it all back together- the pump was Trying again, but it would shut off again.
I made sure all the lids were tight and then emptied the baskets again of all the small leaves.
The filter gauge wasn't acting the same, I tightened the bolt even more. All that made a difference I guess, as the pump finally stayed on. (It would kick off when on the low pressure setting)
The clean pressure was about 18 psi (~2000) and at 3400 it was ~24 psi.

So... There was some gunk there, but could it be that my water pressure is too high for the pump?
If so, why does the pump stay running at the higher speeds, but tends to kick off at the lower speeds?
Is the high speed bad for the pump? Or is the high pressure bad for it?
People in my neighborhood have gotten pressure 'regulators' or 'reducers' in order to lessen the chance of pipe ruptures.
I have not, as our shower pressure is really strong.
Pics:
First time before cleaning
Second time before cleaning (2 days later)

66c2aae6d33ad29f16d9394c9b818e82.jpg
e870d605b151610ec26f6eef8da898b4.jpg

Julz,

First off, city water pressure has no impact whatsoever on what your pump/filter is doing. Except maybe when you are cleaning the cartridges... :p

When you are restarting after cleaning, are you releasing the air out of the filter using the valve at the top, and waiting until water shoots out before closing it?

How are you restarting? Are you doing something at the pump or on the EasyTouch.

I can't wrap my head around what you are saying about the pump not starting??? What do you mean "It would kick off when on the low pressure setting"??

If the last pic was before you cleaned them the second time, that does not look all that bad...

I was reading the SVRS manual and found a couple of things..

It says your pump should start back up automatically in about 2 minutes after the "Alarm"... Does your pump do this, or do you have to manually restart it?
It also says that "...suction side air leaks can cause false SVRS alarms..."

I'm going to do a little more research..

Jim R.

Thank you!
You are so nice to help. My PB is not. Being nice :-(.

Ok, so best I can describe is:

At times, I walk outside, see that no water is flowing, go check the pump and the small display by the basket says: "alarm, clean drain before restarting"
I check the drains, no leaves, press 'reset' on the same display... and it starts up again. After a few changes in speed, starting high, then audibly 'gearing down' slower, it kicks off- and the alarm is there again.

I check other things, like the lid on the pump bucket, and try again to reset.

Eventually, after trying few things, including turning on cleaner button, it may stay on.

I walk away...
Next afternoon, same thing....

Yes, it does keep trying on its own... but eventually it quits trying...

Julz,

Logically, since cleaning the filter helped, but did not solve the problem alarm, then either the input to the pump is restricted, causing the alarms, or the pump is bad...

My gut says the pump is ok and that something is restricting the flow.

I understand you don't like your pool builder, but have you told him about this specific problem? If so, has he sent anyone out to look at it?

Your equipment is still under warranty, so I would do everything I could to have him send out a Pentair warranty tech to look at the pump. If he thinks the pump is bad, great. But I think (guess) that he will find that your pump does not have an adequate supply of input water. In a way, this should force your PB to fix whatever the problem is..

That said, here is what a handy DIY guy would do first..

There are three valves just before your main VS pump... The first valve is automated and selects whether your are sucking water from the Spa or the Pool. To the right are two more valves that appear to select the flow from your two skimmers and the main drain. I suggest you open these two valves and look inside for signs of a clog. You just remove the 8, or so, screws and pull the guts straight out. If nothing, you can then do the same thing with the valve directly in front of the pump. Just make sure you reinstall with the handle in the same position as it was when you took it apart. If nothing is in the pipes, then I find it hard to believe that both skimmer and the main drain are all clogged, so I would then think something is wrong with the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.