Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter doesn't provide enough suction for vac

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter doesn't provide enough suction for vac

I have a 6000 gallon above ground Coleman swimming pool with to intakes connecting to my 3000 gph intex sand filter. For some reason I am no where near getting enough pressure when I hook my vacuum up to the intake. I've tried plugging up one intake to create more pressure in the other but it is still not working. Is this filter not big enough for my pool? I have no idea how I am going to vacuum the pool this summer because this is just not working. help!

Mikayla Duncan, Oklahoma 6,000 gallon 18ft Coleman metal frame pool. Intex sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter doesn't provide enough suction for vac

Can you post a pic of your pump and filter please.

intex ultra frame round pool 6831g totally hard plumbed with hayward variable speed pump and jandy cs150 cartridge filter... plus a solar heating roof system with a .75 onga pump and 24" sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Excuse the muddy mess. It flooded in OK a couple of days ago.

Mikayla Duncan, Oklahoma 6,000 gallon 18ft Coleman metal frame pool. Intex sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

When was the last time you did a backwash on your filter.. the only reasons your suction is weak is one of 2 things.... your filter is clogged with dirt... or your pump basket needs emptying....

intex ultra frame round pool 6831g totally hard plumbed with hayward variable speed pump and jandy cs150 cartridge filter... plus a solar heating roof system with a .75 onga pump and 24" sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pump basket is empty and I backwashed earlier this morning. Still not enough pressure.

7. Back To Top    #7

However I do have an over the wall skimmer and it provides plenty of suction for that.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You need to cap the vacuum breakers on the Intex gate valves.

Are you blocking off the other suction port when trying to vacuum?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have no idea what that means. I'm new to having a pool and I've been slamming my pool for two weeks. It's slowing down the process of slamming because I can't vacuum. And yes I've tried blocking off the other suction port. It didn't create any more suction.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not sure where the vacuum breakers are located on the valve.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The valves should have come with clear plastic caps to cover the vacuum breaker (circled in red).

aviary-image-1492387800692.jpeg
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I didn't get a clear cap to go this with the pool. The grey part is screwed on tight. Is there a part I need to order?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

This should be the cap.

Vacuum Release Valve Cap - Intex

You only have to worry about the one on the suction valve. You will still need to block off the other suction port.

Maybe try some electrical tape over the hole on the top of the vacuum breaker.
    Dom - TFP Guide

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay thank you! Does it matter that I have a Coleman pool? The cap is for an intex.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sand filter doesn't provide enough suction for vac

Wait.. there isn't a breaker on the suction valve. Only on the valve that spits the water back in the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

That I'm not sure about, but I think they are the same. Maybe you should check the Coleman website for the caps, now that you know what you're looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Your filter & pump should be adequate to vacuum, I used to manually vac with the 2600GPH model.

Make sure there are no suction side leaks, and that the other port is totally blocked off.
    Dom - TFP Guide

17. Back To Top    #17

Wait.. there isn't a breaker on the suction valve. Only on the valve that spits the water back in to the pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

You divided the suction hose into 2, but you didn't use the same type of hose.
    The thin walled hose will collapse with high suction. Try connecting directly to
    original port.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!