Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool/spa combo and I can't figure out the valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool/spa combo and I can't figure out the valves

I need help, desperately. I have two valves on my pump, when looking down at them, the left one says "return" at the top, then spa is written on the left tubing and pool is written on the right piece of tubing, these all connect and go into the filter. Then, the only exception on the right says "suction" at the top with spa written on the left piece of tubing and pool skimmer written on the right. This set of tubing comes of the motor. So far today I have tried every combination I can think of and can't get the pool to skim. In fact, all I have accomplished is getting all the water out of the spa. And tick off a garden snake in the process. What direction are these valves supposed to be in????

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool/spa combo and I can't figure out the valves

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a picture of the plumbing and valves as that will help understand your description.

Note that for pool valves, the handle points to the opposite side from the pipe that is closed. They should even say closed on them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As requested. Thank you for the help.

4. Back To Top    #4

R,

There are three basic setting...

Pool Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the pool via the wall return openings. This is the setting that will skim the pool the best.

Spa Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the Spa drain and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting only runs the Spa and the water should not spillover into the pool.

Spillover Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting is what makes the Spa spillover into the pool.

Let me know if this does not make sense...

Keep in mind that the skimmer action is kind of subtle. It is not going to be so strong that it reaches out and grabs debris. One thing that can effect skimmer action is the little door (Weir) that is at the front of the skimmer opening. It should bob up and down with the water. If it does not move, or is missing, this could be your problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Jim, the process flow makes sense, than you for detailing it out. So, for each mode, is this how I would have the valves set?

Pool Mode: On the suction side the valve is set to pool skimmer and the return side is set to pool

Spa Mode: Suction side is set to spa as is the Return side

Spillover Mode: suction side set to pool skimmer, return valve set to spa.

Is that right?

6. Back To Top    #6

You got it.

In the picture your suction valve is on pool and the return is mostly on spa mode, so that is going to overflow a lot. Normally, I would suggest the spa side of the return valve be mostly closed so most return goes to the pool.

Do you have a weir in the skimmer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Weir? Basket?

8. Back To Top    #8

a Weir is the little door/flap between the pool and the in deck skimmer, at the water level.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

9. Back To Top    #9

No, it was broken when we bought the house. The pool really needs an overhaul.

10. Back To Top    #10

That is why your skimming does not appear to work very well. You need to replace it. There are spring loaded universal ones that are a quick fix.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

We've tried, they actually broke the mechanism in the pool wall that holds the Weir, I've had it looked at and tried, the wall is broken. This entire house was a mess, it's taken years to repair the damage the previous owners did. Next up, pool