Pool/spa combo and I can't figure out the valves

RAFM

Apr 16, 2017
Bedford
I need help, desperately. I have two valves on my pump, when looking down at them, the left one says "return" at the top, then spa is written on the left tubing and pool is written on the right piece of tubing, these all connect and go into the filter. Then, the only exception on the right says "suction" at the top with spa written on the left piece of tubing and pool skimmer written on the right. This set of tubing comes of the motor. So far today I have tried every combination I can think of and can't get the pool to skim. In fact, all I have accomplished is getting all the water out of the spa. And tick off a garden snake in the process. What direction are these valves supposed to be in????

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a picture of the plumbing and valves as that will help understand your description.

Note that for pool valves, the handle points to the opposite side from the pipe that is closed. They should even say closed on them.

As requested. Thank you for the help.
d77a519f1e2f0ab928cbd5c03aca33ee.jpg
c98f0f15ad317995d7c9b597e8b76e1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

R,

There are three basic setting...

Pool Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the pool via the wall return openings. This is the setting that will skim the pool the best.

Spa Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the Spa drain and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting only runs the Spa and the water should not spillover into the pool.

Spillover Mode. This is where the "Suction" side valve is set to route water from the pool skimmer and into the pump, through the filter and then pass through the "Return" valve and back into the Spa via the wall return openings. This setting is what makes the Spa spillover into the pool.

Let me know if this does not make sense...

Keep in mind that the skimmer action is kind of subtle. It is not going to be so strong that it reaches out and grabs debris. One thing that can effect skimmer action is the little door (Weir) that is at the front of the skimmer opening. It should bob up and down with the water. If it does not move, or is missing, this could be your problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, the process flow makes sense, than you for detailing it out. So, for each mode, is this how I would have the valves set?

Pool Mode: On the suction side the valve is set to pool skimmer and the return side is set to pool

Spa Mode: Suction side is set to spa as is the Return side

Spillover Mode: suction side set to pool skimmer, return valve set to spa.

Is that right?

You got it.

In the picture your suction valve is on pool and the return is mostly on spa mode, so that is going to overflow a lot. Normally, I would suggest the spa side of the return valve be mostly closed so most return goes to the pool.

Do you have a weir in the skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've tried, they actually broke the mechanism in the pool wall that holds the Weir, I've had it looked at and tried, the wall is broken. This entire house was a mess, it's taken years to repair the damage the previous owners did. Next up, pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.