Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first water test

1. Back To Top    #1

first water test

Hi, just got my first water test and I'm way off on some things. The "pool place" is telling me all is ok & to do nothing at the moment. What are your thoughts:
    FC-5.04
    TC-5.04
    Combined Cl-0
    pH-8.1
    Hardness-449
    Alkalinity-106
    Cyanuric Acid-37
    copper-0
    iron-0.1
    Borate-3

Help!
    Tricia
    TDSKlein
    inground -30000 gal. chlorine pool. Pump: 2hp; filter 60DE DR 100 sand; w/spa & heater; Polaris 280 cleaner -inline chlorinater- pebble tec sheen
    2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains -fill from well ; pool built 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first water test

Hi Tricia! You're instinct is correct to be nervous. Even if we trusted those pool store results (which we don't) your water needs some help. Of everything tested above, the only thing I might place "some" reliability in is the pH test, and it's way too high. You could use some muriatic acid to lower it to at least 7.7-7.8 for now, but don't go too low because we're not sure it the pool store was 100% accurate. Your first priority must be to get the right test kit - either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I have the TF-100 and love it, but with either you can be confident of the test results. You simply cannot sacrifice accuracy at this point. I wouldn't adjust anything else at this point, and other than some acid, continue to add just regular bleach daily to keep your FC at a decent level.

Once you get your own kit, post a full set of results and we'll show you just how accurate and easy home testing is. You'll be relieved. Please let us know if you still have questions/concerns.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!