Solar SWG?

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar SWG?

Two things I don't like about it right off the bat.

Anode adds minerals, probably copper since they have a warning in their manual that copper can cause stains.

The chlorine output is so "amazing" that they don't tell you what the actual chlorine output is. So, my guess is that it must be amazingly low and they are embarrassed to say what the actual chlorine output is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yep, the copper makes this a hard no right out of the gate.

Even without that though, even if this produces enough chlorine for a pool on a sunny day what happens on a cloudy day? Now you have to lug chlorine any time it isn't sunny enough to produce the required chlorine, kind of negating the reason for getting an SWG in the first place.

If it was 1/4th the price and didn't have the copper anode I might consider it to perhaps decrease the amount of chlorine I need to carry, but at that price it is very much not worth it.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    ...what happens on a cloudy day?
    But it says...Amazing Chlorine output even when cloudy.

Aren't you a believer in advertising?
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Nope, I believe charts:

Credit Vernier Software Technology
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking the other day that the major SWG manufacturers should make a chlorine generating robot, similar to cleaning robots. Have the robot float around the pool plugged into a controller and make chlorine without having to run the pumps. Then, just pull the unit out of the water when you don't need it. And, if they really wanted to get a big bump in profit, integrate a cheap ORP probe into it to give some feedback on chlorine generation....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I was thinking the other day that the major SWG manufacturers should make a chlorine generating robot, similar to cleaning robots. Have the robot float around the pool plugged into a controller and make chlorine without having to run the pumps. Then, just pull the unit out of the water when you don't need it. And, if they really wanted to get a big bump in profit, integrate a cheap ORP probe into it to give some feedback on chlorine generation....
    Now this would be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Two things I don't like about it right off the bat.

Anode adds minerals, probably copper since they have a warning in their manual that copper can cause stains.

The chlorine output is so "amazing" that they don't tell you what the actual chlorine output is. So, my guess is that it must be amazingly low and they are embarrassed to say what the actual chlorine output is.
    Well... that technically is amazing!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Now this would be interesting!
    I suppose product liability would be an issue since some numbskull would likely go swimming with the thing and then have their corneas burned off because they thought it would be a good idea to try to see if they could "detect" the chlorine coming out of the tube. Or, very likely, they try to inhale the hydrogen gas because their buddy told them it would be just like inhaling helium and they'd get the squeaky Mickey Mouse voice....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Ha Ha, they state:
    "Works in both saltwater and freshwater pools"

When I think of 'fresh water', I think absolutely no salt.........
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Umm they made it. It was called the cobia and I beta tested it for a year. It was like 1700 to purchase. Salt cell wasn't very big.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I am perfectly happy with my NON scaling Hayward SWG! LOL

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah, right that was a nice upgrade from the first one!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach