Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cleaner that will do 3 things, choices are driving me crazy.

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for a cleaner that will do 3 things, choices are driving me crazy.

I have a Polaris 9500 that is just not getting the job done. It keeps getting stuck on the lower pool step and despite pulling it off it keeps missing major areas of my pool. I'm looking for a robot that can clean my pool, keep from getting stuck on the step, and also have a cartridge instead of a bag.

When the Polaris is set for floor only it still climbs a little and gets stuck. I need the bottom of the pool cleaned probably 5 times for every full side and bottom clean.

This forum has been interesting but I still can't figure out which unit will do the job and hopefully last more than a year or two. Please point me in the right direction. This has been a frustrating few weeks.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for a cleaner that will do 3 things, choices are driving me crazy.

I just bought a Dolphin S300i and it's maiden voyage today was excellent. See the thread I posted here - So this just happened....

They go for about $1100-$1200 retail + tax. 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I love my Doheny's Discovery ckeaner. Same as Maytronics S200 and Dolphin Triton Plus. More in my build thread, link in sig. And more here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery.

The S series Maytronics cleaners are amazing. And super easy to clean out. I haven't seen a bad review yet.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Do any of the pool stores in your area let you try out loaners? When I was looking around for cleaners, I had already decided that an S300i was the one I wanted. But, when I actually talked to the various shops around me, all them asked if I would like to demo a model for a couple of days...I was surprised by this but they all asked. Perhaps if you found a store that has demo models to try out, you might find one you like better than your current setup.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyChallenged View Post
    I have a Polaris 9500 that is just not getting the job done. It keeps getting stuck on the lower pool step and despite pulling it off it keeps missing major areas of my pool. I'm looking for a robot that can clean my pool, keep from getting stuck on the step, and also have a cartridge instead of a bag.

When the Polaris is set for floor only it still climbs a little and gets stuck. I need the bottom of the pool cleaned probably 5 times for every full side and bottom clean.

This forum has been interesting but I still can't figure out which unit will do the job and hopefully last more than a year or two. Please point me in the right direction. This has been a frustrating few weeks.
    How does it get stuck on the pool step? Doesn't it reverse its way off?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    How does it get stuck on the pool step? Doesn't it reverse its way off?
    Nope. It gets stuck with wheels on either side of step and gray brushes turning is the water not making contact with anything.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

7. Back To Top    #7

But it should reverse and be able to get itself out?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the off road world it's called high centering. You get your chassis stuck up high and your wheels don't touch the ground.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    In the off road world it's called high centering. You get your chassis stuck up high and your wheels don't touch the ground.
    Been there and done that, now I understand, the bots with tracks and brushes on both sides tend to be a little better in this regard, but they can still get stuck like that as well if they get in the proper position.

10. Back To Top    #10

This surprises me because I have one and it has never gotten into a jam that it couldn't get out of. It's never been stuck even once.

11. Back To Top    #11

You might look into the Dolphin M500. It has cartridges. Mine has never gotten stuck. It cleans my large pool quite well. I run it on the 3 hour cycle but it looks pretty clean in 1 hour.
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the same model Polaris and it is able to back off the steps. It is a great cleaner but I would not expect it to do the whole pool perfectly. I usually brush my shallow side anyway just to speed things up.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought after my first robot died and a new motor was over $600. This one needed to be sent back once for service. It was absolutely great with my last pool but disappointing with my new pool.

Does the cord tangle with the M500? I do like that even w/o a swivel my Polaris has never tangled.

14. Back To Top    #14

The M500 has a swivel. I have not had any tangling. I do stretch the cord all the way out straight before I put it back on the cart when I take the Dolphin out of the pool. I take mine out at night even though you can leave them in. Just my preference.
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

One local pool store has the Active 20 that they loan for demo. I called yesterday and spoke with the knowledgeable service lady about the unit. Unfortunately, when I arrived after work to borrow the loaner someone else had loaned it out. They allow up to a week loan period. ;(

The unit sound pretty good but their "sale" price is $1049. I am willing to pay a premium to buy local but when the base price is hundreds above mail order and then sales tax is added they are really asking a lot. If it works well I will ask them about matching online pricing.

Is the Active 20i worth the difference over an active 20?

Still like third brush st on the M5/500...

16. Back To Top    #16

The third brush was one of the features that tilted my decision toward the M500. I paid $1295 plus tax. I could have gone $999 for the Triton Plus on amazon but I decided I wanted the local service convenience.
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Just be very careful with online pricing and sales. Call to ensure that the product you might get online comes from a "brick & mortar" shop that is authorized to sell Dolphin cleaners. Maytronics is very explicit about their warranty - they will not honor their warranty on third party internet sales. So, if you find the unit on Amazon or eBay or some such site and its hundreds of dollars less, the person or business selling it may not be an authorized Dolphin dealer. If you do find it online, you can always call Dolphin/Maytronics to find out if it is legitimate.

Matt

18. Back To Top    #18

My dealer can get me an M500 new that he is allowed to get to demo at a big discount. Sounds like it will be like refurb pricing. My only question now is in the Fall with a lot of leaves in my pool will the M500 cartridge system be too small compared to the Active 30 series basket?

19. Back To Top    #19

I have found that the two cartridges hold quite a lot. They are fairly large. Ask the dealer to show them to you. Sounds like a good deal. Will the warranty still be 3 years?
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

No, 1 year plus my credit card should add a year. I figure that if I can get it for under $900 the savings would pay for a repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast