Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH wont go down

1. Back To Top    #1

PH wont go down

I cannot get my PH to go down. Its at 8.5 plus right now. I keep adding Muriac Acid but it does nothing. Could this be because the water temperature is only 55 degrees? Or do I keep adding the Muriac Acid?

Thanks
    17,000 gallons free form. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Heater, SWG, Easy Touch.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

PH wont go down

How high is your FC & TA?

How big is the pool, and how much MA have you added?

Could you post a complete set of test results to help us better understand the situation?

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PH wont go down

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    How high is your FC & TA?

How big is the pool, and how much MA have you added?

Could you post a complete set of test results to help us better understand the situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pool is 17500 gallons.
    FC-3.5
    TA-70
    CYA-60
    CH-25
    PH-8.5

So far I have used 1 1/2 gallons of muriatic acid and my PH hasn't lowered at all.

Thanks
    17,000 gallons free form. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Heater, SWG, Easy Touch.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Which test kit are you using?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    which test kit are you using?
    tf 100

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you sure you bought the full strength MA? It comes in "half strength" which is advertised as lower stinky vapors or "green", or regular full strength 31 Baum 20% or something like that. If you accidentally bought the half strength stuff you're going to need to use twice as much to get results.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

TF-100 cannot test to 8.5. Are you using the correct reagent? (R-0004) and not R-0014?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yesterday my PH was under 6.2 and TA was 20
    The TF-100 cannot test below 6.8 either so what's going on?

1. Why do you think your reported test results are beyond the limits of the test?

2. DO NOT start any more threads. Keep everything from here forward so we can see your story.

3. Accurate testing has a little learning curve but you should be able to get pH correct.

4, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It the basis for everything you'll do forward. We'll help but we've got to get you grounded first.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all I did buy the wrong acid. It was a lower strength.
    Also - That's not me saying my PH was under 6.2 I am still high trying to lower.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mterrell77 View Post
    Thanks all I did buy the wrong acid. It was a lower strength.
    I've been there. I obviously didn't read the labels carefully, so I own that, but I think it's lousy that the diluted stuff is sold for the exact same price.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

11. Back To Top    #11

Something doesn't look right. It seems unlikely that pH would be that high given the other test results. FC and TA look inconsistent with reported pH.