Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2024
Peoria, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool was finished last August, so we had about a month of swim season and are looking forward to a full season this summer. It seems like I can't stop putting muriatic acid in this pool on a daily basis. I've read here and there that this is often the case with new pools (mine is pebbletec, no salt). I'm trying to keep it at 7.4 because I know it will rise throughout the day and sure enough, when I test after the sun goes down it is back to 7.7. I'm putting 20 to 23 oz of acid in a day.
Does this sound normal? Will the pH ever even out?
Here are the latest numbers
pH 7.7
FC 6
CC 0
TA 53 (this is after subtracting about 1/3xCYA per the guidelines in my Taylor test kit)
CYA 60 (but I think it is a bit lower, closer to 55)
CH 600 to 650 (still trying to get this test down - seems like I'm forever putting drops)

TFP methods do NOT use adjusted TA. PoolMath makes the needed adjustments. So for our purposes report your actual measured TA.

Lowering your pH to 7.4 just causes it to rise faster.

Keep your pH around 7.8 and don’t lower it below 7.6.

Let your TA fall to an actual not adjusted 50-60.

Your fill water has a TA of 130. As evaporation ramps up, the addition of a hundred gallons or more of that water every day will push the TA up and thus the pH. Standard practice to need to add acid twice a week or more, excluding the fact you have new plaster.

You need to start using softened water for make up water or your CH will be well above 800 ppm by the middle of summer.

Your fill water has a TA of 130. As evaporation ramps up, the addition of a hundred gallons or more of that water every day will push the TA up and thus the pH. Standard practice to need to add acid twice a week or more, excluding the fact you have new plaster.

You need to start using softened water for make up water or your CH will be well above 800 ppm by the middle of summer.
Is the fill water you are referring to the water from the City of Peoria? A water softening system is very expensive, isn't it? Or is there a cheaper way to do that just for the pool (sorry, if ignorant question - I have little experience with this)? I've read many on this site have CH levels at mine or above and it seems like the message is "it shouldn't be a problem if you stay on top of the other stuff".
I am concerned about the CSI # as my water starts to get warmer (and it will shortly here in the Phx area).
My TA from my Taylor kit is 80.
If I can't afford a water softening system, I'm looking at a partial drain to lower CH?
Thank you for your replies:)

Your fill water is from the Colorado River. At least most of the year the bulk of it is. The CH is 250 ppm and TA 130 ppm.
Most people find water softeners are necessary in the southwest to protect your expensive appliances and plumbing.

When you CH reaches 800 ppm or above, and you start to have scaling issues, then time to drain the entire pool volume and start over.