Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your swimmable temp?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is your swimmable temp?

I saw someone say that they swim in 70 degree water temp.

I gotta say, no way Jose!

I can barely stand it at 83 degrees. My best temp is high 80s to 90s.

How about you?
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is your swimmable temp?

If it is sunny and 80 then we can swim at 82 or 83. But, we definitely prefer 85 and 87 to 92 is better when it is 100 outside. 93 is too hot.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

clip,

I'm with Danny, 82 is our first dip of the year temp. Even at that I've got to build up enough courage to take that first plunge...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

My daughter was swimming last week. 72 degrees. I watched (=
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

85 or higher for us
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool temp hit 82 a day ago and took first swim this year. That's about as low as I go Cool front moved in for the weekend so going to be another week or so before temps get back to that level
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

7. Back To Top    #7

My kids will swim in 75F water easily. Me and the wife prefer 85F. Low RH in southern AZ means very rapid evaporative cooling when you get out of the water. My middle boy (the string bean) will go Smurf blue if I don't towel him right away.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

82 around here for me, 86 for most adults around here, 88 for some.

kids... just depends if there's a crowd of 'em, then they'll go swimming at 75 or even a bit less.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll get in at 76 but I won't stay in for long and I'll jump in the hot tub to warm back up. My wife needs at least mid 80's to get in. My 4 year old wants to get in when there is ice in the pool.
    24'x52" Above Ground Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Dual Speed pump, In-line Chlorine Feeder (only used when on vacation), AquaLuminator return light (customized with color changing LED light), all plumbing done with Schedule 40 PVC
    & 2004 Elite Spas Monterey Hot Tub (~400 gallons) with Controlomatic Technichlor SWG - Use Taylor K-2006 test kit with K-1766 addition and speed stir on both.

10. Back To Top    #10

My kids were in at 65, don't stay long though. They were in at 75 and swam for couple hours. I myself like 82-85. My wife likes 95 lol
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

11. Back To Top    #11

I get in for short times around 70. Growing up near creeks that never reached above 50. Usually not full immersion in a creek but still played in it
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

12. Back To Top    #12

82 or 83 unless wine is involved.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    82 or 83 unless wine is involved.

That's about my minimum for preferred comfort level. 88 is even better.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

If it's under 90 I really don't like getting in. I will if granddaughter is visiting, but otherwise... No thank you!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I prefer 85 to 90....That's our sweet spot...And even at 85 you have to slowly get in..lol
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

16. Back To Top    #16

And just wait till Casey finds this. We will be the biggest wimps ever with our 80+ water temp needs.

She will smash us.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

84 if it's hot and sunny, and even then the littlest will start teeth chattering after a bit. 84 is about what I'll heat it to and what it can then maintain without additional heat by leaving the solar cover on 24/7 with air temperature at a high of 90+ and a low of 60+. Once the low overnight goes to 70, I pull the cover and it doesn't go back on until monsoon season.

87+ is my "normal" swim temp through the season and can be maintained with no cover at all as long as the overnight temps stay above 70.

In the desert, I've found that I lose more heat to evaporation than I gain from having direct sun exposure on the water - hence the blue solar cover is usually on 24/7 or stored in the garage. When it's time to replace old blue, I'll try a clear one and see what differences it makes in heating/maintaining heat.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

18. Back To Top    #18

A lot higher than when I was a kid that's for sure. Low 80's is tolerable but 85 to 87 is ideal. For the spa, I really like it right around 100 even, but do like excursions up to 104 or so for short spells.

But it's a dry heat! That's why it is sucking up all the water and cooling your pool. I'm thinking of eventually doing solar panels to counteract that but is it worth it? IDK.

19. Back To Top    #19

My wife and I like it to be 85+ but the kids will get in anything above 72. It was windy and on the cold side here in Houston the last few days (55 is cold for us) so that the pool felt warm at 82 the last couple of evenings. So I guess when it's cooler outside the water may feel warmer versus when it's 105 outside and 82 feels like freezing.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

20. Back To Top    #20

My 8 yo daughter got in today with a water temp of 64. Swam across the pool, got out with teeth chattering and said, can I just get in the hot tub instead? (=
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast