Satellite Beach, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am having similar problem. Pentair IntelliTouch system is 3+ yrs old . Pool temp reading has climbed to 96. On the IntelliTouch panel, it reads 96 / 86. What is the "86" degree indicating? Do these thermistors break after 3 years? I see no isssues with the wires. Is there some way to only reset that sensor?

The water temp is really in mid-70s.

Last edited:
Test the water temperature sensor using a multimeter and compare the ohms against this chart...

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Test the water temperature sensor using a multimeter and compare the ohms against this chart...

10K_thermistor_chart.png
Thanks. I assume I would check at the contact points on the board, correct? I will do that and report back.

I went into SL Config app and set the temp to the correct temp, but it just moved it down 10 degrees to 86.

If I need a new one, anyone have input on name-brand Pentair vs generic such as this one from PoolGuySupply.

He has an excellent video on replacing it, so I like patronizing the helpful YT people.

I did a complete power cycle to the screenlogic panel. When back on, the water temp reading Is now pretty much matching the air temp 81. Which is lower than before reset 86. I noticed a CR2032 battery on the board. What is the expected life of that battery? It’s been in operation for 3.5 years.

I believe the battery is to keep the time if the power goes out. Does not do any other function.

Might change it after that time period.

Reactions: CFlaPool
I believe the battery is to keep the time if the power goes out. Does not do any other function.

Might change it after that time period.
Thanks. So it’s not the battery having issues. according to chart above, I should be able to check the two screws for the sensor for Volts if the sensor is connected. I had trouble getting a consistent reading on my meter. I’ll disconnect it tomorrow and check the resistance on the sensor wires, and report back.

Reactions: mknauss
Thanks. So it’s not the battery having issues. according to chart above, I should be able to check the two screws for the sensor for Volts if the sensor is connected. I had trouble getting a consistent reading on my meter. I’ll disconnect it tomorrow and check the resistance on the sensor wires, and report back.
Well, my meter only had probes, not aliigator clips, so getting a good reading was impossible with it off the board. After a power reset and reattaching the wires to the block, the reported temp went down to 68. (Actual is around 74). It has not gone up slowly but steadily and is now 82. So I ordered a new one and will install it this weekend. I'll first test it against the air sensor and confirm it reads the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can do the 10K resistor test.

Connect a 10K resistor in place of the water temperature sensor.

If the temperature reads 76F then the board is good and the sensor is bad.

If the temperature reads anything else then the board is bad.

Thanks. I guess I could simply move the air sensors wires to the WATER side, and see if "water" reports correctly the air temp. I did not think of that last weekend. If it reports fine, then the board is good. With the unfortunate demise of Radio Shack, finding a 10k Ohm resistor locally may be a challenging task.

You can get a package of resistors for $5 or less from Amazon. They are handy to have around for diagnosing pool temperature problems.

Reactions: CFlaPool
I installed the new temp sensor this afternoon. When troubleshooting the old one, I went into the SL Config app and under sensor calibration, I increased the water temp to what I thought it should be (maybe 10 degrees lower.) Do I have to erase that calibration by resetting the EEPROM (which I assume will erase all settings and schedules) or is there another way? I tested the temp of water at the returns and I get 72-73 on my instant read meat thermometer, which is quite accurate. The pool is reporting 62 degrees. Do I calibrate it again to 72? I went through the menus and did not see a way to reset the sensor.

Thanks. I did that on the control panel. So far so good. I will heat up the spa tonight and verify temp is correct (before getting in!). Update: Spa temp was right on. Temp sensor dilemma has ended. Thanks all!

Last edited: