Just added CYA.. How long to circulate and which speed?

Sammy2

Aug 30, 2016
Riverside, CA
My pool guy just told me he added acid today and to leave the pump on for 3 hours. Normally he puts the Jandy Panel in lock out mode and leaves. Today, because of my newly installed VS Pump, I requested he leave it in Auto mode so it doesn't screw up my programs with the pump run times. So the question is as in the title.. How long and what speed? I'd prefer running it at low speed for a longer time than a high speed for a short time for energy/cost savings but am not sure where to set it.

TIA

To verify, he added cyanuric acid to the pool? "Acid" typically refers to muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate to lower pH, so want to make certain first.

If he added CYA straight to your skimmer you are going to want to keep your filter running continuously for a day or two while the CYA dissolves. Most of it will have gotten stuck in your filter where it will slowly dissolve. If you backwash or clean your filter (I don't see your filter type in your signature) too soon you will lose any CYA that hasn't dissolved yet.

The DE filter was cleaned along with the salt cell last week by him. I added 120 lbs of salt because it was at 2600ppm on the AquaRite and needed to come up and is now at 3600ppm. Via text, I asked if he added cyanuric acid and he responded that he added acid without being specific. I believe he uses liquid and puts it right into the pool itself. In the screenshots I took from my security cameras, he was there a grand total of 10 minutes and doesn't appear to be carrying any sort of acid in a bottle or powder form whatsoever. I'd post the screenshots but what purpose would that serve? There's a few thing in his pouch but not big enough to be acid but rather what looks to be test strips or testing chemicals. I don't know if he added anything at all as I have him coming and going on my DVR and there's nothing that looks like acid and he doesn't keep it at my house.

I think I'll be running it at low speed for the next few hours rather than full speed costing my money.

Just adds to my inkling to take this over myself.. I did it decades ago for my dad's pool, testing chemical levels, vacuuming, raking and brushing and even cleaning the DE filter. This pool really doesn't even need to be vacuumed and only needs an occasional brushing and then just on the steps and seats. The water is clear and looks good but now I'm not so sure he's doing what I'm paying him to do. He's in and out in less than 10 minutes each week, won't come on Thursday as I'd like him to do so it is clean AFTER the gardener leaves and before the weekend so I end up having to clean the pool anyhow before using it on the weekends. He's charging too much money and then more money when it comes time to clean the filters and SWG and I'm not sure he is doing things right even though the water is nice and crystal blue. Rather than ask, I'm about to order my TF-100 and get going on doing this myself because I feel I am doing it myself as it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.