Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair nets on skimmer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Hair nets on skimmer basket

I've been reading previous threads about using hair nets to catch small particles at the skimmer.

Could someone one who uses them post a picture and explain how they are attached? I've looked but can't find the info.

Thanks!
    Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hair nets on skimmer basket

I use them but my pool is closed so no pics right now. I just take the basket out of the skimmer and put the hairnet over the top of the basket. I cover the handle but I'm sure you could make it so handle isn't covered if you really care. Simple as that. If you google "hairnet over skimmer" it shows pics of other people's setup:

hairnet over skimmer - Google Search
    24' round AGP - 15,200 Gallons - Hayward Sand Filter - Hayward Swimpro LX Pump 1HP - Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here you go, just ignore the amphibian. What have you found in the skimmer basket?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
    I use them but my pool is closed so no pics right now. I just take the basket out of the skimmer and put the hairnet over the top of the basket. I cover the handle but I'm sure you could make it so handle isn't covered if you really care. Simple as that. If you google "hairnet over skimmer" it shows pics of other people's setup:

hairnet over skimmer - Google Search
    Thanks very much!

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Here you go, just ignore the amphibian. What have you found in the skimmer basket?
    Thanks! Got it now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Love the hairnets! Been using them for a week with great results!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Glad to hear it!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Hair nets are awesome. Mine liked to float, so I tossed a rock in them. So so so easy to clean the skimmer baskets now
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

9. Back To Top    #9

So are these just regular hairnets or are they designed for this purpose? Do you treat them as disposable or do you clean them and reuse?

Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog43 View Post
    So are these just regular hairnets or are they designed for this purpose? Do you treat them as disposable or do you clean them and reuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regular hairnets, repurposed. Much cheaper than "skimmer socks" at the pool store. I personally buy queen-sized knee-highs. Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated. They last a month or two, then start getting giant runs when you clean them, telling you it's time for a new one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I just purchased some after reading this thread earlier and they work extremely well, also put them on my net to get out fine debris and it works like a charm and also super cheap compared to actual pool socks.

Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

12. Back To Top    #12

Regulate hair nets. At 100 for $8, I don't even attempt to clean them. I replace every couple of days, but I don't get much that need skimming in my pool.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

13. Back To Top    #13

If you have the standard Pentair baskets like we do, the metal rod is removable. Remove the rod, place the hair net, then reinsert the rod through the fabric. Much better.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

14. Back To Top    #14

One Gallon Paint Strainers work well, last years, cheap and are a good micron size (not too big and not too restrictive).
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2...Gallon/1008385
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

15. Back To Top    #15

Hair nets on skimmer basket

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    One Gallon Paint Strainers work well, last years, cheap and are a good micron size (not too big and not too restrictive).
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2...Gallon/1008385
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these. Just stuff it inside and stretch the elastic around the outside lip of the basket just contouring it around the handles. Works great. After they get dirty, I chunk them in the trash! No more trying to get the strands of grass unstuck from the basket holes.

16. Back To Top    #16

Anybody use these with the older style square skimmer basket?
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Does the type matter? I see some Polypropylene one's on Amazon. Will they work ok?
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Taylor K-2006

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog43 View Post
    Does the type matter? I see some Polypropylene one's on Amazon. Will they work ok?
    Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I bought these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great, cost less than 4 cents each, and with 500 in a package, I won't need to order more anytime soon. This has cut my need to clean my filter to almost never. It used to be at least 3 times a year. Now I clean it once in the spring, but even then, not because it needs it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

20. Back To Top    #20

So I ordered some of these and when I put them on, I started getting air bubbles in my returns. I removed the hairnet off just one of the skimmers and it stopped. I'm guessing that means I have a very small leak on the suction side and the hair nets are causing the pump to suck harder and exposing the leak? Any other thoughts or anybody else have this problem?
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast