Hair nets on skimmer basket

mwalling

Bronze Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
Dallas, Texas
I've been reading previous threads about using hair nets to catch small particles at the skimmer.

Could someone one who uses them post a picture and explain how they are attached? I've looked but can't find the info.

Thanks!

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
I use them but my pool is closed so no pics right now. I just take the basket out of the skimmer and put the hairnet over the top of the basket. I cover the handle but I'm sure you could make it so handle isn't covered if you really care. Simple as that. If you google "hairnet over skimmer" it shows pics of other people's setup:

hairnet over skimmer - Google Search

OP
OP
M

mwalling

Bronze Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
Dallas, Texas
I use them but my pool is closed so no pics right now. I just take the basket out of the skimmer and put the hairnet over the top of the basket. I cover the handle but I'm sure you could make it so handle isn't covered if you really care. Simple as that. If you google "hairnet over skimmer" it shows pics of other people's setup:

hairnet over skimmer - Google Search
Thanks very much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigdog43

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
So are these just regular hairnets or are they designed for this purpose? Do you treat them as disposable or do you clean them and reuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
So are these just regular hairnets or are they designed for this purpose? Do you treat them as disposable or do you clean them and reuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regular hairnets, repurposed. Much cheaper than "skimmer socks" at the pool store. I personally buy queen-sized knee-highs. Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated. They last a month or two, then start getting giant runs when you clean them, telling you it's time for a new one.

Uncle Salty

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2017
South Carolina
I just purchased some after reading this thread earlier and they work extremely well, also put them on my net to get out fine debris and it works like a charm and also super cheap compared to actual pool socks.

Salty

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
If you have the standard Pentair baskets like we do, the metal rod is removable. Remove the rod, place the hair net, then reinsert the rod through the fabric. Much better.

OP
OP
M

mwalling

Bronze Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
Dallas, Texas
One Gallon Paint Strainers work well, last years, cheap and are a good micron size (not too big and not too restrictive).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...trainers-Fits-Container-Size-1-Gallon/1008385
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XK2FS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these. Just stuff it inside and stretch the elastic around the outside lip of the basket just contouring it around the handles. Works great. After they get dirty, I chunk them in the trash! No more trying to get the strands of grass unstuck from the basket holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigdog43

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
So I ordered some of these and when I put them on, I started getting air bubbles in my returns. I removed the hairnet off just one of the skimmers and it stopped. I'm guessing that means I have a very small leak on the suction side and the hair nets are causing the pump to suck harder and exposing the leak? Any other thoughts or anybody else have this problem?