Stinky cloudy water

Sharonjh

Bronze Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Australia
Hi, a couple of weeks ago I put the winter cover on the pool. It's a black vinyl cover that doesn't allow light or water through. The other day we had a few warm days and when I checked the water it was cloudy and putrid smelling (like rotting fruit). Could this be algae even though no light can penitrate? I threw in a heap of liquid chlorine and the smell is gone but still cloudy. I'm just really puzzled at what could have caused the smell and cloudiness when no light can get to the water.

Possibly. You could have been on the edge or at the beginning of an Algae Bloom, or had other organics in the pool you were unaware of. This is why we suggest maintaining the pool as always, and closing as late as possible.

Yeh if you want to close a pool, there's specific procedures for that. I'm not familiar myself because we keep the pools open over here. You can search the forums on pool closing, but you want to have the pool clean and cold before you do it.

Oh whoops, not a good reference for a global website!!

Sydney is on the east side of Australia, South Australia is at the southern middle, so my "over here" is probably roughly like the Carolinas would be relative to middle of America, kinda.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.