Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD Powder Scoop Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD Powder Scoop Replacement

Somehow we have lost the little blue scoop used to measure out the powder used for the FAS-DPD Chorine test. Anyone have ideas on what best to use as a replacement? For now I guess I will fold a small piece of paper in half, sprinkle on some powder and shake off what looks like the excess. I feel like a drug dealer though!
    I live in Central Texas and have a 12,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool built 2007. Jandy CL340 cartridge filter, Stealth 2.0 single-speed main pump. Polaris cleaner with booster. Attached heated spa with moss rock spillway to pool. K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-DPD Powder Scoop Replacement

perhaps an 1/8th tsp measuring spoon? Filled only half way?

Too bad you can't get those old McDonalds spoon coffee stirrers...they did remove them and went with the flat sticks when the found out coke users loved them. <snort!>

You can buy a new one from TFTestkits.net for 15cents. Call them and ask if you send them a dollar if they'd send it in an envelope? Would cover the stamp, spoon and envelope.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

PenskeFile

You might be interested in this item as an alternative to the small spoon:

Taylor DPD Powder Unit Dose Dispenser 9250. Taylor 9250.

I prefer this to the small spoon but it uses more DPD powder (2 spoon scoops) than measuring with the spoon, if 1 scoop is used in the DPD test.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

4. Back To Top    #4

In a pinch anything you can use to get the amount you need is ok. If you do the best you can to get that as best you remember, it will be close enough. It doesnt take much, and this particular reagent isn't critical, so that will work until you get a new spoon.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips. I probably need a whole new batch of powder anyway as mine is very clumpy due to a moisture influx. It seems to work and measure the FC well, but I get a bunch of black residue coating the inner walls of the tube when I'm done.
    I live in Central Texas and have a 12,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool built 2007. Jandy CL340 cartridge filter, Stealth 2.0 single-speed main pump. Polaris cleaner with booster. Attached heated spa with moss rock spillway to pool. K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Heat a plastic swizzle stick or plastic toothpick with a flame and flatten the end. Even a little coffee stir stick will work. Dose is not too critical.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeFile View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I probably need a whole new batch of powder anyway as mine is very clumpy due to a moisture influx. It seems to work and measure the FC well, but I get a bunch of black residue coating the inner walls of the tube when I'm done.
    Mine did that too when it got older and moisture hit it. I found if I just squirt a bit of rubbing alcohol in the tubes it cleans it right out.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard