Help me with algae!!

Mar 29, 2017
Paradise/tx
My name is Heather and I live in Paradise, TX. We have had a pool for at least 4 years and it seems like every year I struggle through with controlling the algae. I go to the pool store and spend money on algaecide, poor it in, and nothing happens most of the time. I just purchased a Tf100 test kit and I'm going to learn how to be in control of this. :p With some help I hope!

Welcome to TFP! I feel sorry for your algae already.

The little Paradise TX that is around Decatur, Boyd, Brideport etc...? Also, just found this website and am walking Mom (who also struggles with algae every year) through the SLAM process. We started Saturday and the water has turned the correct gray color and is slowly clearing up. You're pool will be sparkling clear in no time!!!

Hey there Heather, I'm so glad you found the BEST SITE FOR POOL CARE ON THE INTERNET!!! Welcome!

I would suggest you start by reading some Pool School articles--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

As you'll learn from reading, algaecide is NOT an algae killer. It is a preventative chemical only, so if you have algae already its just a waste of money. It actually is something we rarely ever recommend using.

Your head may feel like its exploding from all the new information you're going to learn, but it all starts to make sense when you see it working.

Just get that test kit, provide us with your test results and information about your pool and equipment and we'll walk you thru it all.

Yippee :flower: