Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help ID Pool stain

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help ID Pool stain

Hi. New pool owner since October. I been been trying to keep the pool balance using the BBB method since I got the pool drained back in November. The pool guy power washer it and he said he used acid with no luck. There are some dark stains all over the pool. It is worst around the deep end. I put a chlorine tab on a couple spots around the pool for about 5 minutes and it did not change. What should I try next?

Results from poollogger.com

FC: 2.5 (I added chlorine after this to bring it up to 5)
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 125
    CH: 275
    CYA: 40
    Temp: 66
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21000 gal IG plaster, hayward 2 speed pump, hayward cartridge filter, taylor k-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help ID Pool stain

Next if vitamin C! yep just some cheap vit. c crushed up in a sock and let it sit on one of the places or you can also rub the vit. c tablet on it.

Can you feel the stain if you rub your hand or fingernail over it?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

In these pics, is there water in the pool? Looks to me like typical wear on the finish probably from not being take care of. How old is it?
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

4. Back To Top    #4

I will go get come vitamin c today thanks.
    The pool is filled. House was built in 1996. The neighbor told me the pool was built later. I'm sure the pool was neglected for a while. When I google map my house, I can see the pool is filled up about 2' from the bottom and that's where most of the darker stains are.
    21000 gal IG plaster, hayward 2 speed pump, hayward cartridge filter, taylor k-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree that looks like worn out plaster. If it is smooth enough and doesn't leak then you can just live with it for a while until you are ready to replaster. But, it doesn't hurt to work on the stains, more here, Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I got some vitamin c today. Crushed it up and put it in a sock. I put it where it's the darkest near the drain about 8' deep and couldn't really tell any difference. But I also put some on a spot on the stairs and noticed a huge difference. So does that mean I can use absorbing acid to get rid of some of the stains? Where's the best place to get some?

7. Back To Top    #7

I have no idea where to buy it but it sure does sound like it will help on some of the stains! SWEET! Here is a link about it though!

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Im pretty sure that link has some places to buy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that the turquoise and black stains are likely to be copper. I suspect that there are also iron stains.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I think that the turquoise and black stains are likely to be copper. I suspect that there are also iron stains.
    Will ascorbic acid get rid of all those stains?

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't think that it's going to work on the Copper stains.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.